Static shock blew out TDK LED! wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu_fuz

Staff member
So I was using my TDK 3 speaker, walked across the room to turn it down. Touched the volume knob and got zapped by a big static shock and it blew out the white LED in the volume knob.

What the hell?

oldskool69

Staff member
That doesn't even make sense...first I've heard of something like this. We've all got tons o stuff with metal knobs, metal posts, etc. that do not have issues like this. I guess I would need to see the TDK knob assembly to see how it is constructed. :hmmm:

Superduper

Staff member
Yep, completely see this happening. Next time it could be something more serious than just the led which could blow with voltage as low as 4 volts, forget the thousands of volts your static charge developed (albeit low current). This is why almost all IC's, but especially FET or MOSFET based components include static warning handling statements. All such equipment should have been designed with grounding wires throughout the innards. You've all seen them before if you've ever disassembled a quality piece of equipment. Ground wires that goes to speaker grills, trim bezels, etc which I'm sure some of you probably felt it would be OK to never reconnect them too because it was too much trouble. In case you're wondering, that's what they were for...

blu_fuz

Staff member
It is VERY staticy in the boom room and I often get shocked on my boomboxes. Usually I touch the outlet trim plate screw and shock myself to that before touching any boomboxes to avoid a shock into the radio.

Ill make a demo vid of the shocks I get up there.

oldskool69

Staff member
Superduper said:
Yep, completely see this happening. Next time it could be something more serious than just the led which could blow with voltage as low as 4 volts, forget the thousands of volts your static charge developed (albeit low current). This is why almost all IC's, but especially FET or MOSFET based components include static warning handling statements. All such equipment should have been designed with grounding wires throughout the innards. You've all seen them before if you've ever disassembled a quality piece of equipment. Ground wires that goes to speaker grills, trim bezels, etc which I'm sure some of you probably felt it would be OK to never reconnect them too because it was too much trouble. In case you're wondering, that's what they were for...
I agree with everything you say Norm. But what doesn't make sense to me is that the TDK, if I remember correctly, has a plastic knob (exterior plated), to a plastic post to more plastic parts before contacts, etc. are implemented, which in theory, should isolate such issues. What I am confident of is that todays "boomboxes" are not grounded in the same manner as older units. This one is interesting. Have you gutted one of these TDK's before? :hmmm:

Reli

Boomus Fidelis
It's a shame those things are such POS's.......tons of people are having problems with the USB and other circuit boards failing. Why do you think they came out with totally different models so quickly, with Bluetooth (inferior) instead of USB. Oh and smaller speakers, lol.

Superduper

Staff member
Plastic is NOT a perfect conductor. It functions perfectly fine on low voltage but at high voltage, everything can conduct electricity. Worse yet, the TDK uses plexiglass clad shell. Anyone that's worked with plexiglass (drilling, filing, cutting) knows how easy it is to build up a charge. Think of it this way. You stand on the second floor of your home. You are wearing socks, shoes, you stand above carpet and the padding which then has underlayment, subfloor, floor joints, posts, before connected to foundation which touches the ground. YET if you accidentally touch only the single "hot" wire of your mains which is "only" ~120 volts, the electricity has a way of working its way through you, through everything else, back to the power plant. You know the circuit was completed because you received a shock. God help you if you accidentally touched a hot cable while standing on firm ground (garage?) with no shoes on. All those idiots that vaporized while trying to steal live copper cables should serve a warning. Even "high-voltage" insulated screw drivers and test probes which includes thick insulation and special insulating materials are rated for a "high" 600 volts. Static charges can be much higher voltages. The only reason why we generally aren't killed with static shocks is because of the minuscule amount of current. Most LEDs are only rated at about 1.6 to 3.5 volts on the ultra bright varieties. Bottom line, if you are working in highly staticy areas, and you frequently handle sensitive electronics, ground yourself first and/or consider changing the type of clothing/shoes/flooring and maybe grounding the BOOMBOX storage equipment too (yes, you can "plug" your shelf, table, rack into the mains connecting only the grounding pin and the other lead to the equipment.

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
I can write a lot about static electricity safety because I worked for largest chemical industries that did lots of manufacturing. One site was closed because of a fatality from static electricity. Proper grounding and bonding rules are very important.
I might have transferred flammable solvents so many times without proper grounding but I should say I was very lucky then. This employee was transferring toluene from a plastic bucket to another container when it all went in flames.

I think the carpet in Joe's boomroom can cause lots of static electricity issues. You shoudl wear cotton socks or a leather shoe when you are in there. This will dessipate lots of charge bulit in your body by walking on it.

The carpet in your boom room is one of the main causes for building up charge on your body and if you wear rubber soled shoes that will hold the charge without dissipating it. You have a lot of insulators in your home, like the rubber soles of your shoes and that wool carpet in the living room. When you walk on that wool carpet, your body then builds up a charge it can't get rid of through the insulating soles of your shoes. Then, when you touch that metal doorknob... you know what happens. Dry air is also an insulator, so static electricity is even more common during the dry winter months.P

One of the easiest ways to avoid static shock is to pay attention to what you're wearing and what kind of fabrics make up the furniture in your house. For example, rubber-soled shoes are great insulators, and will build up a lot of static in your body when combined with a wool or nylon carpet. Instead, try walking around in leather soled shoes, or cotton socks instead of wool socks. Leather soled shoes are also great for grocery shopping, since shopping carts can often cause lots of static electricity.
Similarly, wool sweaters are common offenders, especially in the dry winter (when you usually wear them). If you sit in a chair made out of the right fabric, you'll build up quite a bit of static. Again, cotton is going to be much more friendly, so try wearing cotton clothes when you want to avoid nasty shocks. Certain furniture covers or antistatic sprays can help alleviate this problem, too.P
You may have also noticed that often, when you get out of your car, you get a shock when you touch the door. You might have even heard that touching the door frame as you get out of the car can help, and that's true. Make sure you start holding the metal frame before you get out of the car, and you keep touching it until you're out of the seat completely. If you forget to do this, you can also touch the car door with your keys. Since the electricity will discharge through them, you won't feel a shock.
The tips above will work when you're out and about, but when you're in your own home, there are a few other things that ensure you can wear those rubber-soled shoes and wool sweaters when you want to. A humidifier can make the air a bit less dry, and thus lower the possibility of you getting shocks at home. Generally, you want to keep it above 30% relative humidity, though 40% or 50% would be even better.

blu_fuz

Staff member
The TDK knob is metal cased over plastic. The LED is a small circuit board mounted in the knob with 2 wires teathered back into the potentiometer circuit board. The POT shaft is metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVvYIKYE9UU&feature=em-upload_owner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MSnPjSu7sI&feature=em-upload_owner

Superduper

Staff member
I put my hand on the door frame of my truck as I exit just to minimize the shock I receive when my foot touches ground but it's not true that you won't feel the shock. It is not as pronounced but I definitely feel it each and every time during "shock" season or when I'm wearing certain clothes.

There is a video on youtube about supposedly static safe electronics storage bags and containers. The producer did some tests trying to static shock some electronics which were encased and he successfully "fried" the IC's through the packaging. So yes, static electricity can still damage electronics even when they are inside of supposedly static safe packs.

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Man that's crazy blu :lol: ...how dry is it in the boom room, what humidity level do you keep it at?

Despite what people say...IMO the TDK boombox is an amazing machine...i love it...and use it ALL the time. I have had ZERO issues with mine :thumbsup: . Once something goes wrong on mine then and only then will i bash it and call it a POS :lol:

blu_fuz

Staff member
I know it is really dry up there. I am careful to make sure I ground myself before touching boomboxes and now I know why. Maybe I'll have to buy an old TDK boombox for parts and get that LED circuit board and see if that's the only blown part of if the damage is internal :-/

Lasonic TRC-920

Really sorry to hear that man. You would think there would be more grounding control on a modern electronic device. But maybe there is only so much that can be done.

I keep seeing these TDK's on CL "Needing Repair" or "As Is" for really cheap. But I still think I'll pass :hmmm:

restocat

Member (SA)
Anyone guilty of stepping back in their car while pumping gas?

"Q: I’ve heard that static electricity also can cause gas station fires. Is that true?
A: Yes. Static electricity has caused fires at gas stations, including at least four in Ohio, according to the Petroleum Equipment Institute, Tulsa, Oklahoma. For this reason, you should not re-enter your vehicle while you are refueling, since static electricity caused by friction from your clothing’s contact with the car seat can ignite the gas when you get back out of the car to complete the refueling process. To view a video of such a fire and learn more about static electricity and gas station fires, visit www.pei.org/Index.aspx?p=stop_static."

Status
Not open for further replies.