So disappointed in the Korean conion c100. No bass at all

ny935

Member (SA)
Picked up a few heavy hitters this weekend. Never been more disappointed in a radio. Having 2 Japan c100 I was shocked that this one couldn't even move the speakers or light up all the LEDs at 3/4 volume. While owners of the Japan version know it gets loud and pumps at 1-2 notch with LEDs fully lit. At least the chrome is shiny.

Attachments

• IMG_20240701_120521893_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240701_120521893_HDR.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 13

Fatdog

Staff member
I knew the Korean version lacked some of the bells and whistles found on the Japan version, but I don't recall ever reading about it having much less power.

If I ever had a chance to find a deal on one, I'd still get it though - simply based on rarity. Congrats on finding one!

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
I have one and it is very loud and powerful!
So loud I never went more than 1/3 on the way.
If it is not loud, then it needs to be fixed.

ny935

Member (SA)
I have one and it is very loud and powerful!
So loud I never went more than 1/3 on the way.
If it is not loud, then it needs to be fixed.
Also got two wheely aka's. At half volume its loud. Life than the conion.Speakers bounce like crazy. Bass and treble knobs respond. Treble gets very high. I got static on function knob when moved. And line in was lower than my Studebaker, which is damn sad. Could it be function knob needs a clean

Reactions: Fatdog

ny935

Member (SA)
I knew the Korean version lacked some of the bells and whistles found on the Japan version, but I don't recall ever reading about it having much less power.

If I ever had a chance to find a deal on one, I'd still get it though - simply based on rarity. Congrats on finding one!
Thanks. She looks great just need to get the lack of bass and power thing sorted any tips would be appreciated

floyd

Boomus Fidelis
I'm not sure if it had the alarm system but I would check the working order if it does

ny935

Member (SA)
The Korean c100 doesn’t have the same amp system as the Japanese version.
I know the differences. But I still think it should be louder and have more bass than a bolt box I also picked up. First thing I noticed about the conion when I fired it up was how wide the sound was. Then the bass knob did have an effect but minor. Then loudness did what it was designed to do. So I started turning it up. 3/4 volume and just sadness set in lol. Tried line in, and the volume was even lower. That was it, finished polishing up the chrome bits, put it in a bag and on the wall display it went for another day. I picked up 18 radios in 3 days. 2 wheelies,2 jvc 550, a 777, bolt box, this conion, sharp gf800, and a sanyo9935 which sounds better than this conion lol

Reactions: Hisrudeness

Superduper

Staff member
Sounds like something is wrong with it. I’ve never heard others make this complaint and the shortcomings you’ve described would surely have been noted by someone by now I would think.

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
I know the differences. But I still think it should be louder and have more bass than a bolt box I also picked up. First thing I noticed about the conion when I fired it up was how wide the sound was. Then the bass knob did have an effect but minor. Then loudness did what it was designed to do. So I started turning it up. 3/4 volume and just sadness set in lol. Tried line in, and the volume was even lower. That was it, finished polishing up the chrome bits, put it in a bag and on the wall display it went for another day. I picked up 18 radios in 3 days. 2 wheelies,2 jvc 550, a 777, bolt box, this conion, sharp gf800, and a sanyo9935 which sounds better than this conion lol
You went to 3/4 of the volume? :-O:no:
If the set was okay, then you won't even attempt to go over 1/2 on the volume controller.
For sure the unit has some problem! :yes:

ny935

Member (SA)
Update. Noticed the sound is very wide. Even with wide setting off. If you move balance from center to left or right the sound almost doubles(still not loud) but still plays out of both sides. Was hoping to spray some deoxit from the front but the switches are glued. Got a few off except the function switch which I wanted to spray first. Checked to see if it's set to 220v but couldn't make out of it's correct. The black tab was to the left over 120. Is that correct?? Anyone have a pic of should be. Thanks

Fatdog

Staff member
Based on your description of the wide sound, I would almost bet money that one of the speakers, or maybe one whole side, is wired in reverse. Speakers out of phase can have the effect of wide sound. If that's the case, correcting the wiring should bring back the proper bass response.

Reactions: Tinman and floyd

floyd

Boomus Fidelis
Based on your description of the wide sound, I would almost bet money that one of the speakers, or maybe one whole side, is wired in reverse. Speakers out of phase can have the effect of wide sound. If that's the case, correcting the wiring should bring back the proper bass response.
I agree.
If even 1 driver is wired out of phase it will cause this symptom. It will sound flat as a pancake.

ny935

Member (SA)
Thanks guys I'll check it this weekend.

floyd

Boomus Fidelis
Thanks guys I'll check it this weekend.
I was at the gas station and a Toyota Celica hatchback pulled up beside me cranking his stereo . it was loud but with the sub box he had he should be shaking in his shoes but the sound was flat.
So I suggested looking at the polarity of the speakers . He had no clue . I reversed the speaker wires on one channel and the thing came to life and this **** was loud . the guy was in shock and all I did was reversed the wires going into the sub box.

Fatdog

Staff member
I was at the gas station and a Toyota Celica hatchback pulled up beside me cranking his stereo . it was loud but with the sub box he had he should be shaking in his shoes but the sound was flat.
So I suggested looking at the polarity of the speakers . He had no clue . I reversed the speaker wires on one channel and the thing came to life and this **** was loud . the guy was in shock and all I did was reversed the wires going into the sub box.
He probably went home that night thinking he had an encounter with an audio god. :lol::rock::bow:

Reactions: floyd