Sharp VZ-2000 player door question

thekrakenisme

Member (SA)
Apr 23, 2021
Texas
Hi,

I'm working on the VZ-2000 and have the door opened up to repair the tonearm. I also have the Japanese version (VZ-V2) and opened that one up to check the correct orientation for the arm when I noticed a difference between the two models:

The US box I have is missing a LED and runner from this location:
vz-2000 missing LED.png

Now, any of you have insight on this? Does the VZ-2000 usually have this piece or is it only on the VZ-V2?
If I am missing it, does anyone have a spare from a junk box they wouldn't mind selling me?

Thanks for any info! The web has been pretty sparse with details about this one.

thekrakenisme

Member (SA)
Apr 23, 2021
Texas
So, updating here in case anyone runs into a similar question:
After taking apart both a vz-2000 and a vz-v2, looks like the japanese box has this photo sensor but the american box never did!

The cord / LED in question on the Japanese box:
LED cord small.png

And this is where it solders in to the board (k526 and k527)) on the Japanese box.
k526 k527 small.png

Here's the board on the American box:
VZ-2000.png

As you can see, k527 is just soldered over (no wire), and k526 never even had anything soldered to it to begin with!
The service manual doesn't reference this part either, so looks like they phased out this part / handled the functionality in a different way before they printed the US service manual.

The more you know! :)

Reactions: dubout