Sanyo M7770K

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
The tape was playing a little slow and I replaced the main belt with SCX 9.5 and it played so well. When I tried to rewind the button got stuck and will not release now.
I spend half a day to replace belt and all and now my big disappointment is that rew button will not disengage. Even though the door is locked I can still open up the unit.
I was wondering how to solve the issue.

Attachments

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
After so much pain and suffering I figured out it has to do with the belt tension. The idler pulley moves too much to lock the rewind mechanism.
Another Sanyo with belt tension that interfere with the transport mechanism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hisrudeness

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was so disappointed last night and put it all back in the place and thought I cannot fix this. Today, after catching up with work I thought let me get back to this box and somehow fix it. It was a struggle to get to the flywheel and all without some desoldering. However, I could get the main PCB away from the tape section by moving the board in the right direction and unplugging all connections to the PCB. There was no need to desolder anything.

The old belt was almost 10.5" in length, and I put one at ~10.00" from my assorted belt collection. Everything works like a charm now.
Deoxit all the switches, record bar, lubed the capstan with synthetic oil, greased the metal moving levers in the tape transport section, demagnetized the head and cleaned the pinch roller. Everything including recording works so good.
This is one of the best sounding minis I've got in my collection. Stereo wide is Awesome so also the radio reception. It got a 4-band radio and only downfall is it has no treble and bass control. Overall, it is a super nice mini box to have.

I feel so glad I fixed it all.

Attachments

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
After so much pain and suffering I figured out it has to do with the belt tension. The idler pulley moves too much to lock the rewind mechanism.
Another Sanyo with belt tension that interfere with the transport mechanism.
I hear you Royce.
This hobby sometimes……..
Thats very correct Rory! It is a pain most of the time, but very rewarding when you see it all working.
I am still amused by these boomboxes like how I was when was a lot younger.
Nowadays it is so hard to find time for all this, but I try my best to live in the 80s and enjoy it!

After all, boomboxery members keep this fun alive!

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Royce, be careful using belts from those variety packs for more than temporary testing, they are generally poor quality and don't last very long before they start to stretch or degrade.

Reactions: BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Royce, be careful using belts from those variety packs for more than temporary testing, they are generally poor quality and don't last very long before they start to stretch or degrade.
Hi Eric,

Thank you! I will find the belt with the correct measurement later and replace it.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
My brother had one of these brand new back in the 80s and it was the first real boombox I ever saw and it sounds great and was pretty high tech to my county ass compared to what I was used to . anyway he would kill me if I got within 50 ft of it so I had to admire it from afar but I got one that Reno bought for me on eBay and it's in Black just like the one my brother had so I love this boombox.

Reactions: BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Idler wheels are all plastic gears, and no rubber contact wheels in this deck. Flywheel has a gear under sitting on a spring and that is in contact with the drive mechanism.