RX-DT680 has more bass than other models.....? Let's see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chordeater

Member (SA)
Feb 8, 2011
Oviedo, Spain
Hi guys,

I own the RX-DT680, and all I can say is it sounds terrific, far better from the plastic 90's ones, as one could think for the aestethics. One of my best sounding boomboxes, and with great bass, of course.

Let me share with you my DT-680 adjustments. I have to say that I like deep bass, but above all, CLEAN bass. An excesive bass can hide higher frequencies and provide an overall blurred sound.

My suggestion:

10 Khz +4.0
3.3 Khz +2.0
1 Khz -2.5
330 Hz -0.5
100 Khz +1.0

S-XBS level: 2.5

Check it, could sound a little thin to some ears, but hear it this way a few days and then compare with your usual adjustment.
Well, it doesn't have to fit for eveyone, but I hope it helps to someone.

Cheers.

wills15

Member (SA)
Jan 29, 2012
Australia
Terry said:
I would agree placement of the box has some influence on the sound, without spectrum analyzing my whole house, my 680 sounds best in the corner of the lounge room, you can feel the bass!
+1, I have mine in a corner too!

I've never bothered posting in that thread 'what boombox are you cranking up right now,' as it's always this Panasonic.

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
Chordeater said:
Hi guys,

I own the RX-DT680, and all I can say is it sounds terrific, far better from the plastic 90's ones, as one could think for the aestethics. One of my best sounding boomboxes, and with great bass, of course.

[ Image ]

Let me share with you my DT-680 adjustments. I have to say that I like deep bass, but above all, CLEAN bass. An excesive bass can hide higher frequencies and provide an overall blurred sound.

My suggestion:

10 Khz +4.0
3.3 Khz +2.0
1 Khz -2.5
330 Hz -0.5
100 Khz +1.0

Check it, could sound a little thin to some ears, but hear it this way a few days and then compare with your usual adjustment.

Cheers.
Lol. I was almost with u until I saw the S-xbs on 2.5. For me, that needs to be on 10. The max setting. This box handles these frequencies with ease so I let it. Setting it at 2.5, ur missing some valuable low tones. But to each his own. Glad u enjoy ur box too! Take care!

tshorba

Member (SA)
May 10, 2009
South West Victoria
Chordeater said:
Hi guys,

[ Image ]

My suggestion:

10 Khz +4.0
3.3 Khz +2.0
1 Khz -2.5
330 Hz -0.5
100 Khz +1.0

Cheers.
100kHz should be 100Hz, small typo.
H is always capital when expressing Hertz with k being lower case to express kilo (kHz)

Chordeater

Member (SA)
Feb 8, 2011
Oviedo, Spain
tshorba said:
Chordeater said:
Hi guys,

[ Image ]

My suggestion:

10 Khz +4.0
3.3 Khz +2.0
1 Khz -2.5
330 Hz -0.5
100 Khz +1.0

Cheers.
100kHz should be 100Hz, small typo.
H is always capital when expressing Hertz with k being lower case to express kilo (kHz)
Yes, you had right, sorry for the typos.
Did you check this adjustment?
panabox1, glad to see you like it. About the S-XBS level, setting it to 10 means to lose medium and medium-bass frequencies, turn S-XBS to 2.5 and you will hear a clearer sound, while bass is enough for me, but usually bass extension depends mostly in tastes. In any case, a super sounding boombox! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

woodz93

Member (SA)
Nov 9, 2011
Hawaii
Chordeater said:
Hi guys,

[ Image ]

My suggestion:

10 Khz +4.0
3.3 Khz +2.0
1 Khz -2.5
330 Hz -0.5
100 Khz +1.0

Cheers.
The main genre I play on this box is jazz. I played some Euge Groove's Se7en Large with the eq settings almost identical to the settings you outlined, and it's just unbelievable. Occasionally I'll play some oldies 90s rap tunes like Dr. Dre's The Chronic and max the S-XBS and 100hz and that sounds good as well. Versatile box if you ask me :-)

womble71

Member (SA)
Feb 18, 2013
st.albert, alberta canada
I have 3 rx-dt680's and they are easily the best sounding and loudest bboxes of my collection(40 and counting)they just seem to be on another level for sound compared to many others. I always get butterflies when i crank these beasts! :jawdrop: :rock:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
womble71 said:
I have 3 rx-dt680's and they are easily the best sounding and loudest bboxes of my collection(40 and counting)they just seem to be on another level for sound compared to many others. I always get butterflies when i crank these beasts! :jawdrop: :rock:
I have 2 RX-DT680s. One is like new and the other one got a few scratches here and there.
They sound really good! But as we all know it is another variety of sound. One cannot be happy with one boombox. Some days I love my Panasonic RX5350, RX7200, Sharp GF777,GF9696, Akai AJ500FS, 505, 525, Hitachi 8600RM, and so on...
I think we are boombox flirts.. :w00t: :lol: :lol:

No one close their eyes and listen to boomboxes. :sadno:
So, the aesthetics has got a lot to the feel of listening. See how much we love the VU meters and LED effects on them. :yes:
The quality assessment will vary if we listen to each boombox hidden behind a curtain in an acoustically designed room. :yes:

littleb

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2010
I also have had at least 12-15 680s& 690s..and tried all the speaker tests as described above..with the same results..680 always comes out on top for bass, and (w/ no intention to flip the thread around), the high end always seemed a bit better on the 690..So, it seems theres a tradeoff here involved..low end for highend, or high end for low end- whichever way you look at it.I Love both boxes and the tape players on the 690 definitely work better- I still regularly use the rec timers on the 690,then transfer my recordings to cd.To go even further with this- look at the different cobra rx dt flip tops.Boy do they all sound different as the years passed and they went thru their various changes. What we really need is a Panasonic tech that worked from that era to chime in.Anyways, love the Rx's!

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
littleb said:
I also have had at least 12-15 680s& 690s..and tried all the speaker tests as described above..with the same results..680 always comes out on top for bass, and (w/ no intention to flip the thread around), the high end always seemed a bit better on the 690..So, it seems theres a tradeoff here involved..low end for highend, or high end for low end- whichever way you look at it.I Love both boxes and the tape players on the 690 definitely work better- I still regularly use the rec timers on the 690,then transfer my recordings to cd.To go even further with this- look at the different cobra rx dt flip tops.Boy do they all sound different as the years passed and they went thru their various changes. What we really need is a Panasonic tech that worked from era to chime in.Anyways, love the Rx's!
Well said! Yes we need those techs. :yes: :yes:

In the day and age of full remote control and IPhone app one should come with a boombox made like a tank and with lots of features.

A TESLA boombox!

littleb

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2010
BoomboxLover48 said:
Well said! Yes we need those techs. :yes: :yes:

In the day and age of full remote control and IPhone app one should come with a boombox made like a tank and with lots of features.

A TESLA boombox!
....yes to that!..another note on those 680s and 690s; I know a few state of the art protools
recording studios that still use the 680 & 690 for an occasional reference when demoing.Now that's one of the best plugs you can get for a 25yr+ old boombox!

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
The only problem with these is the CD player tends to malfunctioned. I've had three all with the same dilemma.

I still have my original 680 which I bought at the Wiz in NYC. I haven't had my tech look at it to see whats causing this. Someday I'll take care of it.

littleb

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2010
I guess ive been lucky on the cd end for the 680, but ive had my share of tape deck issues. Usually the belts.I don't have near as many belt problems w/ the 690.

Status
Not open for further replies.