RX-5500 - How to remove antenna?

funkateer

Oct 3, 2020
Maryland
Hi! Relatively new member here; I joined last year, not long after purchasing my first boombox since I was a teen back in the early '80s. Back then, my first boombox was a relatively low-frills Sanyo M9903K that did have shortwave, which was cool...I always coveted a friend's bigger, more powerful, more knobs-having-Panasonic though. Lost my Sanyo when our house was robbed, and with the insurance money, my dad took me to Sears and I bought a bigger model from there, which I had for years. Something kicked in in the last few years though, and I realized I wanted to finally own one of those larger, higher wattage Panasonics....I zoned in on a Pansonic RX-5500, which I think may have been the model my friend had. Wound up picking up the European version, a National Pansonic RX-5500F (also with shortwave!). It was mostly restored, new belts, etc, with just one original knob missing (the shortwave fine-tuning knob, which I've since found). The antenna got bent/damaged though in a freak accident which I'm still kicking myself over, months later. My issue now is, how to remove the antenna? This is the type of antenna that retracts almost 100% vertically into the boombox body, rather than bending over at a 90 degree angle to the box (you can do that too, though, if one wanted to). A tiny screw on the back of the box holds it in....I removed that, and the broken antenna pulled straight up and out, easily enough. The trouble I"m having is with the GOOD antenna...even after the screw is removed, it does not want to pull out. I contacted the guy who had restored the first one, since he was friendly enough and enjoyed talking about boomboxes, and he indicated he thought there might still be another screw (interior) or retaining clip of some kind that would still be holding it in there. He told me how to open the box, which I did, to check. It turns out, though, that the exterior retaining screw was the only thing that keeps it connected, at least down at the bottom end...the good antenna now swings freely back and forth at the bottom. But I'm not able to pull it straight out, like the guy says I should be able to do.

Now, there appears to be a black plastic ring, on the good antenna, right below where it goes into the top of the box....you can see it if peering up at the antenna, from inside the box. See attached pic, showing this antenna, still inside the box. The thing is, the broken antenna (that came easily out) does not have this ring! The other pic of just an antenna is the broken one, already out, clearly showing there is no plastic ring anywhere on it. The guy claims that I just need to pull harder on the other good one, and use some WD40 or grease to help it. I'm nervous to, however....what if it was never supposed to come out that way...? Anyway, I wanted to at least consult first with the way-more knowledgeable folks on here. I was hoping someone might be familiar with this type of antenna. I'm pretty sure it's the same on the RX-5500, the RX-5500L, RX-5500LE, the RX-5500FA....by Panasonic, National Panasonic, or National. My question is simply: is the guy right that with more force and/or lubricant, should the antenna come straight out? Worried that part is needed and pulling could damage it. Is there another step I'm not aware of? I can't figure out why one antenna has that ring, while the other one doesn't. I don't remember the one that didn't have it being particularly loose in its channel, either. But either they both had it at one time, or some antennas have it and some don't (seems unlikely?). At any rate, I can't see anything else that could be keeping this from just pulling right up out of there.

Any help is greatly appreciated....thanks so much for any help/suggestions!IMG-3866.JPGIMG-3866.JPG

Attachments

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
As you can see your topic has been read more than 30 times,
but obviously not from someone who had your problem.
Of course, other people can help you with advice.
From the photos you took, does not see the place of the problem.
Please take some pictures from different angles and post them here.
Carefully inspect the base of the antenna - both strong and broken.
Apparently there is something holding the antenna and therefore it cannot be removed.
Do not use force so as not to damage it and regret it.

funkateer

Oct 3, 2020
Maryland
Goodman— THANKS so much for helping and replying! The photo of the boombox interior does show the thing I was talking about— what I suspect is the cause of it not just easily pulling straight out. It’s a black little ring. I will bring the pic into Photoshop and add a little circle around it, to call better attention to it— stay tuned. And thanks again!

funkateer

Oct 3, 2020
Maryland
Here’s some pics of the antenna that won’t pull out, even with screw removed. They’re dark and we’re very hard to take in such a way as to be able to see the detail on the antenna I want ppl to see — this black ring that’s not present on my other RX-5500 antenna (the broken one that pulled easily out once I removed the screw).
there are several pics, but they’re all of the same antenna—I edited some of them such that the black part i circled- (if you zoom in on that part of the antenna in some of the pics, I think it becomes more clear)

I1038D3CD-B2DD-468B-9D76-0B535CB092DD.jpegF80A0249-8D1F-43CA-B232-6B5471FF72F6.jpeg42F928A6-CB46-4949-B28B-F6082908E32E.jpeg251780A3-0977-4BD1-98FB-BC2985B4EF9D.jpegE5E01969-60FC-4A3C-AF4A-6CB0CC4F46AC.jpeg

funkateer

Oct 3, 2020
Maryland
just pull out the main board
Ah!! That's where I'm lost. Or, at least, that's where I know what I don't know, and therefore what to not attempt!
I did get the front off...and I can usually take some things apart and put them back together, but what you're describing seems intimidating, at least to someone like me who is a layman and not versed in electronics at all (I used to have a best friend who fixed all my electronic gear, as he was a wizard with that stuff, and could fix anything). Unless this job isn't really any harder than taking the font off (which, I have to admit, took longer than I thought it would..I kept thinking "it's GOT to come off now!" but I'd keep seeing screws I'd missed, etc. I did it months ago and I'm already worried about remembering how to put it back together -- what screws to screw into what hole, etc, lol!

But, my gut is starting to tell me that this antenna is NOT meant to just pull up and out, despite what the Swiss boombox restorer guy told me. I'm thinking that it somehow pulls down (fully into the enclosure) and THEN up and out. And to do that, I'll bet I do have to remove some major stuff :'-(

Is what you call the main board, the board back behind the tape mechanism area? So that too would have to come out? This is what's worrying me - that I'll be biting off more than I can chew and then have two boxes that I can't fully use, instead of just the one right now...

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
I wrote to you to make some good pictures, something like this: (picture is from this topic )
You have two boomboxes, disassemble one (make many pictures) you can see how is connected this "stupid" antenna...

Reactions: Radio raheem

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
If it's the same as most antenna you just remove the small screw at the base of the antenna ..........to be honest i have never seen photos this bad so i can't make sense of it, spend £20 on a decent camera, that's all my camera cost lol

funkateer

Oct 3, 2020
Maryland
If it's the same as most antenna you just remove the small screw at the base of the antenna ..........to be honest i have never seen photos this bad so i can't make sense of it, spend £20 on a decent camera, that's all my camera cost lol
It's the camera in my iPhone, which is decent enough, and I doubt it's the problem. As I thought I explained already, the place on the antenna I'm trying to illuminate is WAY down in the shadows, basically up in a cramped, dark corner. Even with daylight streaming into the room and the light on, that part of the boombox simply doesn't get lit up enough, even WITH its flash enabled. Now if I could hold a FLASHLIGHT on it at the same time as taking the picture, it prob would give much better photos...and I did try that, too, but my flashlight is built into my phone and iPhone doesn't let you use the flashlight at the same time as the camera! Not sure I have another working flashlight, but I'm going to look around. I do think that third photo I took shows pretty clearly a protruding black shape on the metal, of a greater circumference than the actual aerial....stands to reason, -that's- the culprit, and the reason this one won't pull out...

I also already explained that I already have removed that small screw at the base of the antenna...it was the first thing I did. It's not doing anything anymore.,..the antenna now can move freely at the bottom. Where it seems to be moored/secured is at the TOP, up in those shadows. And I think it's because of this black plastic ring.

Caution was most likely correct in saying the whole damn board will likely have to be removed, b/c the antenna was not designed to be removed by pulling it out, it was designed to be removed from the inside. :-(