Rising SRC-2015 ‘20/20’ - looking for guidance

BobC63

Apr 19, 2023
Lehi, Utah USA
Lucked into a Rising 20/20 today for a very good price. Better yet, no missing / damaged parts, and the cassette deck works (!)
It needs a thorough cleaning (both the outside case and the internal pots, switches, etc.) and I’m thinking belt replacement as a preventative - all tape functions work, except the tape counter, but previous owner said he had it in a closet for probably 20 years without ever using it… so I don’t want to run the tape deck too much and risk blowing a belt or messing up a motor.

Controls aren’t too scratchy and all buttons, dials, switches etc. are there and in good condition (just dirty). LED meters work just fine, and this should make a really nice unit once cleaned up and a little resto work is done.

Hoping you guys here can offer some tips and maybe even direct me to videos or other details that show how to get inside correctly, what and where to clean, belt replacements, etc.

I’ve done resto work on things like vintage receivers and tape decks, but a boombox restoration would be a first for me. And I don’t want to mess anything up.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer!

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
I have the SRC 2005 which should be the same internally. I had to strip it completely to clean it as it seemed to have been used near a stove and was covered in hardened grease.
The reason why I tell you this is I can't remember any troubles this was giving me. It is really easy to work on, especially if you are familiar with opening up units. Take out the screws on the back, pull out the keys from the cassette deck on the front and the knobs from the pods, that's it as far as I remember. Plenty of room inside, too.
Aside from not being the most sophisticated boomboxes of the time these still sound great with solid bass etc. Great score!

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cassette door cover needs to be taken out and there are two hidden screws also inside it. Function switch and record bar needs to be cleaned well with Deoxit 5 faderlube. Belts are easy to replace.

sellacct

Jan 20, 2023
USA
Congrats on the find. Take your time and clean it with soapy water, alcohol if necessary (for stubborn dirt or stains, especially on the back), and even q-tips to get into hard to reach places on the front and elsewhere. If the handles are scuffed or rusty, you may need to buff them.
Once cleaned up and shined, especially the chrome top and knobs, it's a beautiful box. A piece of art. This is the boombox that is featured on the cover of "The Boombox Project" book! I have 2 of them, luckily. My favorite box.
Worst part of taking them apart is the 4 tiny screws holding the cassette door on. Take your time, and if you can't get them out, ask for help, don't ruin things.
Good luck.