Replacement speakers /improve the sound of the original speakers? Sharp VZ-2000

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
Hi!

I've got a couple sharp VZ-3500's and a VZ-2000. I need to fix a few things on the 2000. 1st up - sound quality.

The 3500's have each had new speaker cones as they'd disintegrated - but they now sound warm, punchy, really quite great. (and! - top tip :) - Rega carbon AT91 stylus's are cheap and work miracles !)

Anyway to the VZ-2000:

I've noticed the VZ 2000's sound is equivalent when i plug in the 3500's external speakers but pretty horrible using it's own internal speakers. I think it's just old 80's cones, small speaker enclosures. There's little bass. It has the red original cones, I've not had it apart yet but they do look in good condition.

The disassembly guides seem to show small closed speaker boxes around the main woofer and without any holes, baffles or damping material.

SO -

Has anyone suggestions how I could increase the bass and quality of the speakers without ruining it?

Has anyone a source of modern speaker cones, but in the same Red colour?

I really don't mind ordering cones on spec, experimenting. internal mods are cool if they will tighten up the sound so I use it more.

I assume if I painted black modern plastic cones red - would that look or sound rubbish? has anyone tried?

TIA!

PS heres a WIP tease, I've dressed it up a little with various stickers from this ace forum :)IMG_6813.jpg

Reactions: floyd

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Hi!

I've got a couple sharp VZ-3500's and a VZ-2000. I need to fix a few things on the 2000. 1st up - sound quality.

The 3500's have each had new speaker cones as they'd disintegrated - but they now sound warm, punchy, really quite great. (and! - top tip :) - Rega carbon AT91 stylus's are cheap and work miracles !)

Anyway to the VZ-2000:

I've noticed the VZ 2000's sound is equivalent when i plug in the 3500's external speakers but pretty horrible using it's own internal speakers. I think it's just old 80's cones, small speaker enclosures. There's little bass. It has the red original cones, I've not had it apart yet but they do look in good condition.

The disassembly guides seem to show small closed speaker boxes around the main woofer and without any holes, baffles or damping material.

SO -

Has anyone suggestions how I could increase the bass and quality of the speakers without ruining it?

Has anyone a source of modern speaker cones, but in the same Red colour?

I really don't mind ordering cones on spec, experimenting. internal mods are cool if they will tighten up the sound so I use it more.

I assume if I painted black modern plastic cones red - would that look or sound rubbish? has anyone tried?

TIA!

PS heres a WIP tease, I've dressed it up a little with various stickers from this ace forum :)View attachment 57766
These do have tiny vent holes in the cabinets they are placed as holes drilled into the rear cabinet around the big circle on the back with the sharp sticker on it on the back where the speakers are. They're more like slots but you get the picture. I can tell you this replacing the speakers is a lot of work.

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
Hi - yeah i know... or at least i anticipate it to be a pain. I read a guide from here and watched techmoans video. ive has the 3500's apart but those are likely easy by comparison!

ive also got to construct a power switch and 3d print a repair part for the tape tray. so I'm expecting it to have to come apart anyway

thanks re the slots/holes i didnt know they were there. Any ideas about red new cones? possible to purchase?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Well the 3500 has wood speaker boxes.....plus more than twice as much power as the 2000

Reactions: iainjh

Arbusto67

Member (SA)
Jan 2, 2023
Italy
Have you checked the woofers surrounds? If they are made out of treated cloth and are quite hard you can greatly enhance their performances by treating them with brake fluid, this softens them a lot and you can restore the most of their original specs without ruining them. Congrats on your VZ Sharps, I would really (and I mean really!) have one of them, they are special.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Have you checked the woofers surrounds? If they are made out of treated cloth and are quite hard you can greatly enhance their performances by treating them with brake fluid, this softens them a lot and you can restore the most of their original specs without ruining them. Congrats on your VZ Sharps, I would really (and I mean really!) have one of them, they are special.
The vz 2000 has the treated cloth surrounds.

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
now thats interesting. Thank you!

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
The cloth surrounds have a rubber/polymer coating. Stiff surrounds interfere with cone travel and amplitude. While trying to dissolve the rubber or polymer on the cloth surrounds it is easy to remove the adhesive that bonds it to the cone paper and peel it off. That is something one has to be careful about.

Arbusto67

Member (SA)
Jan 2, 2023
Italy
I tested the brake fluid trick on the speakers in a JVC PC 11 about one year ago with very good results, the cones could barely move before the treatment and now the surrounds are soft and the sound much improved. I used a q-tip slightly dipped into the brake fluid and rubbed the surrounds (only the surrounds!), after few minutes I noticed the treated cloth was much softer. Hope it can work for you.

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Hi. I have a VZ2000 that I restored. I actually replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors within high quality audio grade capacitors and I have to say I think it sounds fantastic with the original speakers. 40 year capacitors will have a lot to do with sound quality. I also stripped down and cleaned all of the sliders. whilst it was a big job I think it was well worth changing the Caps.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is good information.
On my 2 of those, the cone paper and surrounds looked fine! Cone paper was so stiff! So, I never wanted to replace those original speakers.
Now, I know the quality has to do with the faulty components.

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
Hi. I have a VZ2000 that I restored. I actually replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors within high quality audio grade capacitors and I have to say I think it sounds fantastic with the original speakers. 40 year capacitors will have a lot to do with sound quality. I also stripped down and cleaned all of the sliders. whilst it was a big job I think it was well worth changing the Caps.

thank you all. dissasembly is underway

Capacitors - did you repace just those in the power amp circuitry? did you replace many?

part 1 fix for me btw is replace the power switch and lever. its missing. So I'm 3d printing 'bits' and will get that fixed before opening the case fully and considering the speakers.

I'll report back!

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
Hello. WIP update.

I found and ordered some red coned speakers from aliexpress! 6.5". They looked great! These... sharing the link in case it helps someone..

They arrived super fast, and sound was pretty good! Certainly clearer. Right up to the point where i found one speaker wasnt actually working, totally open circuit! So thats gone back.

The only other speakers immediately available were a set I'd put in the VZ3500, replacing its rotted originals. So yes, I dug out the only modelling acrylic red paint i had, Tamiya metallic red. The cones are plastic and so I.... yep, masked off the neoprene and the wires, painted. I don't care I painted the black tweeter, the crossover should make them redundant and i didnt fancy cutting them off, so have a go..

The cones are stiff plastic so who cares.

The new cones sound so much better. The colour is a really lucky match. I was right about the original speakers, they are really stiff. The red paper surrounds are stiff. I'll keep those safe! Yes there is already dampening material in the speaker boxes so i left well alone.

However the new speakers are 4ohm when the originals are 3ohm..

So twice it's been apart and back together, seem to have not broken anything. Yet. It was easier than I feared. I have taken a sequence of pics I'll post somewhere.

Maybe I'll start a new post for these next items, for fun or info for someone..

- I repaired the cassette door that had both lugs sheared off. New 3d printed parts. I'll post some pics and the STL files if it helps anyone... just slithers. The cassette still sounds wobbly so that might need more investigation soon.

- NEXT up - build a replacement power switch. 3d printed and painted.

thanks for tips above gents.

iain

pics:
IMG_6958 2.JPG

camphoto_824023566.JPG

IMG_6989.JPG

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
thank you all. dissasembly is underway

Capacitors - did you repace just those in the power amp circuitry? did you replace many?

part 1 fix for me btw is replace the power switch and lever. its missing. So I'm 3d printing 'bits' and will get that fixed before opening the case fully and considering the speakers.

I'll report back!
Yes I did replace the power circuit ones as well.
thought as I am in there might as well change all electrolytic caps. I think it was about 30-40 in total.
probably a bit over the top. But at that age to can fail and go short circuit. You could just do the ones in the audio circuits around the amps and see what difference that makes

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
Huffers - I shall look into this. thanks again!

Having said that - its night and day with new stiff/modern plastic coned speakers and the rega carbon stylus'es tighten vinyl up no end (AT91 Rega Carbon Replacement Stylus/Styli (also fits Audio Technica AT3600L)

Its not as good as the 3500 but such a nice form factor. Im not sure if Ive messed things up (doubt it) but I also saw someoe suggested swapping the platter with one from a 3000 or 3500 as they are so much weightier, to reduce the 'wow and flutter' that was apparent. I added some small lead weights to the back, at 90deg x 4 positions, and ...well it doesnt sound worse.

I might swap the speakers again as ive seen some black with chrome centre that will match well. maybe.

The VZ2000 is actually dead easy to get apart and back together. I've fixed the power switch - I'l post separately in case it helps someone else.

cheers for now!

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Huffers - I shall look into this. thanks again!

Having said that - its night and day with new stiff/modern plastic coned speakers and the rega carbon stylus'es tighten vinyl up no end (AT91 Rega Carbon Replacement Stylus/Styli (also fits Audio Technica AT3600L)

Its not as good as the 3500 but such a nice form factor. Im not sure if Ive messed things up (doubt it) but I also saw someoe suggested swapping the platter with one from a 3000 or 3500 as they are so much weightier, to reduce the 'wow and flutter' that was apparent. I added some small lead weights to the back, at 90deg x 4 positions, and ...well it doesnt sound worse.

I might swap the speakers again as ive seen some black with chrome centre that will match well. maybe.

The VZ2000 is actually dead easy to get apart and back together. I've fixed the power switch - I'l post separately in case it helps someone else.

cheers for now!
Interesting about the stylus, will
Check that out myself is it a direct replacement or did you have to do anything special

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
direct replacement. I was looking for AT91 and found by accident. They only cost £20 or so in uk, genuine!

Reactions: Huffers