Pioneer sk-550 Won't Play Tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTowerXVI

Hey guys, I finally got around to opening up my boombox and I think it is just a belt issue thankfully. I have to say it was kinda a bitch to open due to the sliders on the front not wanting to come off, but once inside it isn't all that bad. After looking around the mechanism I believe I found the culprit:20210522_191127.jpg20210522_191207.jpgThere is a wider belt that is snapped near the motor. I don't have any experience in buying replacement belts so what kind should I get to replace this one? Help with the thinner round belts is appreciated as well.20210522_194422.jpg
Other than the obviously broken belt, a wire for the green LED backlight was not connected, so I reattached it. I don't see anything else that is glaringly wrong with the mechanism. All of the plastic gears are in one piece and everything else seems fine. Without the service manual (someone said they were gonna post it a while back and upload it to the library but never did) or years of experience, I cant diagnose if the belt that is broken is the only problem. Here are the rest of the images, maybe I missed something.20210522_191027.jpg20210522_185751.jpg20210522_185539.jpg20210522_200643.jpg

Reactions: JimmieJam

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
It is a nightmare to work on Pioneer decks including SK 550, 700 and 750.
I was working on an SK 700 deck and finally had to leave it alone.
Good luck!

TheTowerXVI

Good news! The belt was the issue. The deck functions, but the belt I got is not wide enough so it slips off if I jostle the box, and today it now plays slower for some reason. It was playing at a normal speed before so I have no clue what caused that. I dont know how to change the speed of the motor but I will probably get another belt before trying to.

TheTowerXVI

It is a nightmare to work on Pioneer decks including SK 550, 700 and 750.
I was working on an SK 700 deck and finally had to leave it alone.
Good luck!
Yes it is a nightmare inside. Jesus, that mechanism is not friendly to get disassembled. At multiple points I thought I had ****ed up and broke something, but it was alright in the end. Sorry about your box, completely understand why you dropped it.

floyd

Boomus Fidelis
There might be a speed control adjustment screw underneath that tiny sticker on the back of the cassette deck motor.

TheTowerXVI

Yup, replaced the belt with one that fit better and everything is now functioning as intended. The tape counter is slow, which is just another belt issue that I need to fix. I'll save that for another time though. Thanks for telling me about the motor adjustment, JVC Floyd, that might come in handy later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.