Phillips D-8304

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisf

Hi everyone

I still am not sure what possessed me (well, it looked sexy and I had heard it's got a great sound), but I made a hurried purchase on eBay for this D-8304, for £75: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RETRO-PHI...72.m2749.l2649

I knew it would need a little restoration, but have never restored anything in my life, so thought I'd like a project. But, as one of the tape decks was advertised as working, I thought I could, in the meantime, just enjoy playing my tapes on it. But, the working tape deck sounds pretty ropey, and chewed up a tape, so I have stopped using it immediately. So, it has a "dead" deck and one that's pretty angry. So I've deffo bought a full restoration project!

Opened it up and the dead deck needs a new belt, but I may as well replace both while i am at it. So, does anyone have a link to purchase the rights size belts, if possible?

As for the chewy deck. Any advice on what to do. I'm a complete novice, by the way...

Cheers!
Chris

Reactions: Auahi

hopey

Member (SA)
Getting the correct belts can be difficult or just get a pack of various sizes. The chew tape issue can be fixed by cleaning the pinch roller and capstan shaft with alcohol.

Reactions: chrisf

goodman

Member (SA)
This is very nice boombox.
Last year, I have lucky to buy the same in new condition in original box.
Be careful with tape decks, because all parts is from plastic material.

chrisf

Getting the correct belts can be difficult or just get a pack of various sizes. The chew tape issue can be fixed by cleaning the pinch roller and capstan shaft with alcohol.
Thanks hopey, will give it a go. I won't use my best beer, though!

chrisf

This is very nice boombox.
Last year, I have lucky to buy the same in new condition in original box.
Be careful with tape decks, because all parts is from plastic material.
I am worried about breaking the thing, and not sure how to move the electronics board out of the way so I can attach new belts, but with tweezers I think I can do it without moving the electronics board. I have seen the correct belt sizes are 120mm and 160mm, would you think that sounds correct?
For cleaning the capstan and pinch roller, I can do this from the front of the body, rather than going inside - although need to see if the tape door can be removed for ease of access. Have you been able to remove the door at all?
Cheers mate!

Maxiboom

Member (SA)
Many Philips tape decks have one or a few “yellow” gears. If so, you have to replace them as well. They have become weak over time. Also important before you put on a new belt, clean the idler with alcohol. CD0AAD07-F243-4AD1-B662-12BEA02F01A2.jpeg

chrisf

Many Philips tape decks have one or a few “yellow” gears. If so, you have to replace them as well. They have become weak over time. Also important before you put on a new belt, clean the idler with alcohol. View attachment 50434
Thanks mate. I was always impressed by the Dutch and their approach to life. This has seriously clouded my judgement!

Reactions: Maxiboom

chrisf

Got my alcohol through the post, just need replacement belts now. According to somebody who restored one on another forum he thinks the belts were 1mm square profile, and 120mm and the other is 160mm. I can't seem to find those cheap Chinese bundles of belts that are as long as 160mm. Any clues, folks? Thanks in advance!

chrisf

Just giving this post a bump - if anyone has a link or two for 1mm x 160mm belts that'd be amazing.
Got my alcohol through the post, just need replacement belts now. According to somebody who restored one on another forum he thinks the belts were 1mm square profile, and 120mm and the other is 160mm. I can't seem to find those cheap Chinese bundles of belts that are as long as 160mm. Any clues, folks? Thanks in advance!

caution

Member (SA)
Unfortunately the Philips part numbers for these belts don't exist in any belt code reference list.
The old PRB system of belt codes used a variety of thicknesses and had no pattern. Look at page 3 of this list to see what I mean.
The best matches to 1mm (39 thou) were these:
SCY4.4 is 34-35 thou, SCY4.6 is 33 thou, and SCX4.6 is 46 thou.
SCY6.0 is only 34 thou, while SCX6.2 SCQ6.0 are a bit thicker at 50 thou.

In the new code system, all SBO (square belt orbicular) belts are 1mm thickness. SBO4.4 and SBO6.0 are available.

If you don't want to try your luck with those, go with a belt kit containing sizes in the 4"-7" range.

Status
Not open for further replies.