No info on Sanyo cp9

rushtk

I used a sanyo cp9 in 86 and have always wanted one. Finally purchased one for 200,tape is shot but everything else is good. Why is there no info about this unit. To me it was sweet and OP for the speakers it came with. I cannot find any others for sale. Has anyone else seen any? Thanks! One day I will have enough money to buy my Lasonic back....lol... never realized the 5 boomboxes I had in my youth would be worth so much!

rushtk

Yes sir, it comes up as CP9 on searches. I get it tomorrow. I have been wanting one since I was 16 in 86 and borrowed a buddies. Can't find much info on it.

caution

Member (SA)
Nice! Can you post a picture of it? I'm really curious what it is you bought
All I see on searches is a Sanyo CP-09 compact disc player

Fatdog

Staff member
Something definitely seems to be off somewhere with this one - either the brand or the model number. I can't wait to see a picture!

rushtk

It's the C9. He informed me the tape deck was the only thing not working and speakers sound blown. I have brand new Kicker 4ohm components that I'm going to put into it. Just need to figure out how to tune xover.

Reli

Boomus Fidelis
The C9 had excellent power and volume for the time. Be sure to add some acoustic damping, otherwise those new speakers will overwhelm the cabinets and produce a boxy sounding tone.

Reactions: rushtk

Fatdog

Staff member
The C9 had excellent power and volume for the time. Be sure to add some acoustic damping, otherwise those new speakers will overwhelm the cabinets and produce a boxy sounding tone.
Yep, the C9 has crazy power. The deck is still shot on mine because I'm too much of a wussy to attempt the belt job. Freddie scared me off on it years ago when he was talking about fixing his. It's not impossible but things are definitely crammed in there.

@rushtk You will LOVE the C9!!

Reactions: floyd and rushtk

rushtk

Yep, the C9 has crazy power. The deck is still shot on mine because I'm too much of a wussy to attempt the belt job. Freddie scared me off on it years ago when he was talking about fixing his. It's not impossible but things are definitely crammed in there.

@rushtk You will LOVE the C9!!
After hearing that the entire box has to come apart I to am not sure of my experience level for doing it. Going to have a shop look at all the capacitors for swelling.

rushtk

Whelp I got it. It's at the shop now getting examined for swelling of the caps. Tape does not work but everything else does. Found out this guy was the original owner and is finding the receipt from 85. He bought it in Japan, American military PX

Attachments

• 20240722_115837.jpg
    20240722_115837.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240722_121620.jpg
    20240722_121620.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240722_121633.jpg
    20240722_121633.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 10

rushtk

It sounded good on radio, I checked and my new speakers I was going to put in are 4ohm so I think that might draw it down to much. Thoughts

Tinman

Member (SA)
Looks like it's in great shape and nice to buy off an original owner.
Is that a battery compartment in the bottom front?

rushtk

Looks like it's in great shape and nice to buy off an original owner.
Is that a battery compartment in the bottom front?
Yes, 9 Deezzz

Will put dynamat in the boxes and then figure out what to tune the components to with the Xover. Thank you for your response! Hopefully it's not to much to fix the cassette. Gotta listen to my bootleg RUSH tapes

I also have the car power adapter.

Fatdog

Staff member
Your C9 appears to be in really good condition! It's wild to think that Sanyo was making that beast in 1982.

rushtk

Your C9 appears to be in really good condition! It's wild to think that Sanyo was making that beast in 1982.
Thank you! Trying to find on here best way to clean box and buff out a few scratches. Hopefully the shop won't rape me on the price for fixing the tape deck. I ordered the dynamat and will get some polyfill for the boxes. Putting these in.

Attachments

• 17217481161791686313246799714527.jpg
    17217481161791686313246799714527.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 6

Superduper

Staff member
I don't think that unit was purchased in Japan. He might have misremembered where he got it from. Firstly, it has a non-Japan tuner bandwidth. Secondly, the amp lists non-Japan power supply -- it wouldn't work in Japan which operates at 100V. Lastly, there is a UL sticker on that amp. Or perhaps I'm not fully understanding how military PX's work and where their goods originate from.

rushtk

The military exchange sells both euro and American standard stuff. While in Iraq and Kuwait I bought several items that were American. But he is in late 60's and the memory gets funky