New to me Sharp GF999. Advice, Speaker options, & model comparison (777, 909, 999, 1000)

ScottSpeed

Hello folks!! First off, I am newer here so thank you for having me! Seems like quite a good group with a bunch of knowledge floating around!!

Anyhow I just scored a quite mint GF triple 9 that I am taking a chance on as it is untested. However it was one of the nicest ones I have seen in awhile so I decided to pull the trigger on it. It seems that when looking at listings of these particular Sharp's it's uncommon to see them completely not functioning with the usual problems only consisting of a non functioning tape deck or scratchy, malfunctioning pots.

So I wanted to ask here if there were any common quirks or things to watch out for on this model when going over it? Is there anything I should check out before applying power to the unit? I'm not new working on stuff like this but I am completely new to this model so please forgive my ignorance here lol.

Next thing to discuss is the model differences. I understand and have read previous forum posts on the differences and understand that most folks seem to think that the 1000 has better speakers. I understand all the obvious differences like dust caps, speaker grilles, VU meters, and colors but I was mainly curious about the specs here. I noticed that only the triple 9 and the 1000 has the 4 different jacks on the bottom middle front VS all the other models that only have 3 jacks? Then I noticed that the 1000 states it uses 32W VS all the other models including the 999 that state they use 28W. Would that be from the better speakers used on the 1000 or is it possible that it is using better amps? I have also heard that the GF1000 used a better case/chassis? Or that is was reinforced more? Does anyone have any proof to this? And being that the 999 is so similar to the 1000 does it share any of those features too?

i-img640x480-1669715192z1jn1m3635.jpgi-img1200x900-1665649623m3g8ml487199.jpgi-img640x480-1669715197xtmcad3397.jpgi-img640x480-16698008899odppn8148.jpg

I guess I'm just trying to figure out it the triple 9 shares more in common with the 1000 or does it share more with the 707 or 909?

Then lastly I was looking at a few posts of folks that have replaced the speakers with alpines and I just love the idea of having a Sharp triple 9 with Alpines lol especially since there white and look so good too!

So may I ask here what are the most recommended speaker options here? I have seen that you can use the Alpine SXE-1750S for the inner subs and Alpine SXE-1725S for the outers but I wasn't sure if that info was still current or not. May I ask what's the difference between those speakers besides the tweeter? How do you go about cutting the tweeter and installing it in place of the original like stated on boombox wiki here: Sharp GF-777 | The Boombox Wiki (wikiboombox.com)

As the SXE-1750 are a component set so they come with a tweeter but I guess its the wrong size to use? Is there any way to keep the coaxial tweeter on the outer 1725S? as well as the original tweeter? I plan on doing a recapping as well on the GF999 also as I have heard that changing the tweeter crossover cap to a different value can really help the highs out?

Also if anyone has pointers on the install of the Alpines I would love to hear them too!!

Please forgive me for making such a long post. Just had a lot I wanted to address and ask about. I hope that it's okay.
So if you read through all this thank you for taking the time to do so and I appreciate any help that can be given here. I plan on documenting and possibly recording the whole process to hopefully help out others in the same boat here.

Thanks again for everything and thanks for allowing me to take part in the fun here!

Kind regards!
ScottSpeed.

Attachments

• i-img1200x900-1665649623m3g8ml487199.jpg
    i-img1200x900-1665649623m3g8ml487199.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 18

Reli

Boomus Fidelis
Welcome!
I have seen different part numbers on the speakers in that model range, but I don't know if any of them are better or worse.

Regarding chassis bracing, here are two photos. The first shows the interior of a GF777. Notice there are 4 screws for each woofer, like in every boombox. Now look at the second pic, from a GF-1000. There's a metal brace across the top edge of the speakers. That's something the GF-777 doesn't have.

Your 999 might have that brace. I don't know.

Attachments

• GF-777 inside.JPG
    GF-777 inside.JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 1000.jpg
    1000.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

samovar

Member (SA)
Welcome to the forum ScottSpeed. I am not into the subtleties of the Sharps, though. I own the 767, 777 and 999 and I'm happy with them but I cannot make the comparisons that you ask. I wouldn't mind getting a 1000 one day, so that I could answer at least part of your questions

goodman

Member (SA)
:hi:to forum.
I have SHARP GF 777 with original speakers and like the sound:

Sharp GF777 - 02
by ivosn

When I opened it many years ago for maintenance, I noticed it had metal brace across the top edge of the speakers.
Most models (except 676) have such metal brace.

Regarding the upgrade with new speakers, here are the two threads:

767 with new speakers

777 alpine upgrade

This is modified sharp gf 777:

---

floyd

Member (SA)
For the love of god…please don’t mod it!!

Ah f##k it. It’s your box.
Even if I modify the speakers I still wanted to look as close as the original as possible. These boxes need better speakers but I would only modify it to the extent where you can put it back to where it was if you want to which is not hard with these boxes at all. Mind you I have a lot of custom boxes because they were either dead or dying or I sold or gave away so many parts all I was left with was the husk or the case to work with.

STEREONOVA

Member (SA)
Hello folks!! First off, I am newer here so thank you for having me! Seems like quite a good group with a bunch of knowledge floating around!!

Anyhow I just scored a quite mint GF triple 9 that I am taking a chance on as it is untested. However it was one of the nicest ones I have seen in awhile so I decided to pull the trigger on it. It seems that when looking at listings of these particular Sharp's it's uncommon to see them completely not functioning with the usual problems only consisting of a non functioning tape deck or scratchy, malfunctioning pots.

So I wanted to ask here if there were any common quirks or things to watch out for on this model when going over it? Is there anything I should check out before applying power to the unit? I'm not new working on stuff like this but I am completely new to this model so please forgive my ignorance here lol.

Next thing to discuss is the model differences. I understand and have read previous forum posts on the differences and understand that most folks seem to think that the 1000 has better speakers. I understand all the obvious differences like dust caps, speaker grilles, VU meters, and colors but I was mainly curious about the specs here. I noticed that only the triple 9 and the 1000 has the 4 different jacks on the bottom middle front VS all the other models that only have 3 jacks? Then I noticed that the 1000 states it uses 32W VS all the other models including the 999 that state they use 28W. Would that be from the better speakers used on the 1000 or is it possible that it is using better amps? I have also heard that the GF1000 used a better case/chassis? Or that is was reinforced more? Does anyone have any proof to this? And being that the 999 is so similar to the 1000 does it share any of those features too?

View attachment 56131View attachment 56135View attachment 56132View attachment 56134

I guess I'm just trying to figure out it the triple 9 shares more in common with the 1000 or does it share more with the 707 or 909?

Then lastly I was looking at a few posts of folks that have replaced the speakers with alpines and I just love the idea of having a Sharp triple 9 with Alpines lol especially since there white and look so good too!

So may I ask here what are the most recommended speaker options here? I have seen that you can use the Alpine SXE-1750S for the inner subs and Alpine SXE-1725S for the outers but I wasn't sure if that info was still current or not. May I ask what's the difference between those speakers besides the tweeter? How do you go about cutting the tweeter and installing it in place of the original like stated on boombox wiki here: Sharp GF-777 | The Boombox Wiki (wikiboombox.com)

As the SXE-1750 are a component set so they come with a tweeter but I guess its the wrong size to use? Is there any way to keep the coaxial tweeter on the outer 1725S? as well as the original tweeter? I plan on doing a recapping as well on the GF999 also as I have heard that changing the tweeter crossover cap to a different value can really help the highs out?

Also if anyone has pointers on the install of the Alpines I would love to hear them too!!

Please forgive me for making such a long post. Just had a lot I wanted to address and ask about. I hope that it's okay.
So if you read through all this thank you for taking the time to do so and I appreciate any help that can be given here. I plan on documenting and possibly recording the whole process to hopefully help out others in the same boat here.

Thanks again for everything and thanks for allowing me to take part in the fun here!

Kind regards!
ScottSpeed.
Welcome friend. I'm also new to the forum and I like to see so many beautiful boombox

Jcher12

Hello , nice piece of toy you have . I have sharp 999 I fix the cassette A , then the Bside, while fixin it, a piece came off flying . I'm not really enthusiastic on recording from a boombox. I use my pioneer CT 1100S for recording , or my Sony TC-Ka7ES . but anyway I'm a Big fan of SANYO BIG Ben. amazing Boombox. If you see one . Dont let it go . esp. if its working. hehehe. will good luck to your new project. More power to. you. I just scored a VICTOR/JVC RC 838 . I din't have it yet. waiting ......waiting......

Ragin

Hi there sorry to hijack the post but Just wondering if someone knew how many Sharp GF1000 were made with English inscription. The attachment says it’s rare to find ones specific to the US

floyd

Member (SA)
Hi there sorry to hijack the post but Just wondering if someone knew how many Sharp GF1000 were made with English inscription. The attachment says it’s rare to find ones specific to the US
That's a good question but I know certain models were limited only with Japanese text and ran on 100 volts instead of 120 volts but there could be models made for certain markets I don't know but just be aware some of these models were made only with Japanese text because it was sold only in Japan.