Magnavox D8300 Motor Runs with Box Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemesisguitars

My Magnavox D8300 ate a tape yesterday. I stopped it right away and managed to get the tape out but now the small pin at the bottom next to the playing head keeps running and the door wont open when you press eject. The Tape light wont go off because the pin motor is engaged and the only way to shut it down is to unplug it. I have not opened up the box yet. Anyone know if it could be a gear or belt? Any ideas? Thanks!

docs

Member (SA)
Belts are shot. You need to see if you can open the back without opening the cassette door. If not possible, you are going to need to find something thin to try and ease the heads down from the outside of the front to free the door to open it. Replace belts and check for broken red leicester gears.

Reactions: nemesisguitars

nemesisguitars

Belts are shot. You need to see if you can open the back without opening the cassette door. If not possible, you are going to need to find something thin to try and ease the heads down from the outside of the front to free the door to open it. Replace belts and check for broken red leicester gears.

Ok cool. I appreciate it thanks. From what I've read about this model theres one belt for both decks? I'm going to order new gears just in case.

docs

Member (SA)
Not sure I'm afraid.
Just be careful when trying to free up the door to be able to open it that you dont damage the heads or the plastic casing around the door. I've often used the head azimuth hole with a plastic driver to push the heads down which allowed the door to open. I'm not familiar with the model but the rear etc may be removable without needing the deck door open. You might find a service manual online which has disassembly instructions.
Take photos as you remove wires/connectors/screws.

Reactions: nemesisguitars

nemesisguitars

Not sure I'm afraid.
Just be careful when trying to free up the door to be able to open it that you dont damage the heads or the plastic casing around the door. I've often used the head azimuth hole with a plastic driver to push the heads down which allowed the door to open. I'm not familiar with the model but the rear etc may be removable without needing the deck door open. You might find a service manual online which has disassembly instructions.
Take photos as you remove wires/connectors/screws.

Hey Doc. Thanks so much for your help. I did manage to get the door open, I just used a flathead screwdriver in the gap and gently pryed it and it opened right up. Just wont open with the button. You wouldnt happen to do repairs would you lol. Id rather send it to someone and have them go through it. I am odering new gears as well. This box has been with me since I was a teen in the 80s.

nemesisguitars

Hey Doc. Thanks so much for your help. I did manage to get the door open, I just used a flathead screwdriver in the gap and gently pryed it and it opened right up. Just wont open with the button. You wouldnt happen to do repairs would you lol. Id rather send it to someone and have them go through it. I am odering new gears as well. This box has been with me since I was a teen in the 80s.

Oh I just saw you were from the UK lol. A bit too far. Thanks again tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.