Few repair questions on the VZ-2000

Blahchool

Jun 6, 2023
Nashua NH
Hey Folks,

Excited to own the VZ-2000. I'm incredibly intimated by attempting to repair this beast. I did use to do some minor latpop repairs. I'm comfortable opening things up. I have gone through the strip down file a few times now, plus watched a few videos. I haven't opened it up yet. A few questions.

First, any suggestions on how to repair this damage on the side of the box? VZ-2000 side damage. I know it will never look new again. I just am hoping to repair the gaping hole.

Two, would someone mind watching this video and giving me feedback on what that noise is coming from? It's not the tape player. It makes the noise even if on FM radio. VZ-2000 noise

Thanks!

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Hi
Here are some pictures of one of my VZ2000s that had a lot of damage.
I used a combination of an 2 part epoxy glue to repair and used pieces of plastic to reinforce on the inside over the cracks to add strength.
where I had some plastic case missing I used a plastic resin to replace b Forming the shape with bits of plastic sheet then pouring the plastic resin in place. Finish off with a plastic filler.

Attachments

Admux

Feb 25, 2021
Hongkong
I'm having difficulty isolating that noise ... could be transformer, could be earthing , could be interference through the speaker .. if you open in , try to take another video ... but have you tried batteries ? that would rule in or out the transformer ?

Blahchool

Jun 6, 2023
Nashua NH
Open 'er up. Gave it a good cleaning. Changed out the belts for the turntable, which were wrecked. Lots of cleaning to get bits and pieces of the old belt off. Reassembled all. Turned it back on - the stylus arm moves but the record won't spin. Seems like the motor isn't getting any power. Perhaps it is bad. Perhaps I knocked something loose. Also noticed that I'm only getting volume from the left speaker.

FYI I did reference both the service manual and teardown instructions. I was cautious but it's not impossible I knocked a wire loose or broke something. Interestingly, that sound is now gone. Perhaps the motor died completely? Unsure.

I have a shop in town which may be able to have a look at it. I'm going to touch base with them. If not, there's a shop down by Boston that might be able to help me out.

Last edited: