Big Ben light distortion on right channel?

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
Hello all, this is my 1st post. I'll be brief as to not waste much of your time.
Recently a customer of mine approached me with a "Sanyo Big Ben" boombox stereo.

Here is the symptom I was getting at first. 30 seconds after I turn the unit on (battery powered or wall plug) I hear a noise that I can only describe as a helicopter sound which was overpowering the music coming from any source (FM/AM/CASS).
After cleaning some superficial rust on the battery terminals and hitting the "mode switch" with some contact cleaner the helicopter noise went away.

Now my current issue is that even though the left speaker sounds great, the right speaker has some light distortion which is evident during highs (cymbal crashes and vocals). When I turn the treble all the way DOWN and the bass all the way UP, it results with a very muddy sounding bass.
I have diagnosed that my problem lies in the right channel and not the speaker by swapping the speaker connectors on the pc board.
As far as the VU meter, (when in radio mode) the left needle is stable (at "white -3") while the right needle dances between White -1 and Red +1. When it's in CASS Mode the VU needles dance according to the music but the left is generally lower on the scale than the right (if that extra info helps. :-/)

My guess is that I either have a leaky cap or transistor somewhere on main board. If anyone could help on this issue I would most appreciate it. Thank you. :bow:

WIN_20200507_15_28_01_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200507_15_20_23_Pro_LI (2).jpg

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
A full switch cleaning with Deoxit needs to be done first including the long record switch.
You can see that long record bar switch on the top PC board.
Record switch must be manually moved like 30 times minimum after spraying Deoxit in it.
Locate one end of it and move it back and forth. It moves like 3 to 4 mm back and forth.
~Royce

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
Thank you all for helping out this newcomer. :bow:
I will try to deoxit tonight. Just curious though, Is the "mode switch" the same as the "record" bar? Because I did lubricate that and doing so took out the aforementioned "helicopter sound". Possibly didn't move the switch enough times like BoomboxLover48 advised.
Thanks again everybody!!
I will keep you posted.

**Update** Ok I didn't have any deoxit laying around so I used this other brand called "bullfrog electronic cleaner and lubricant" which lubricated the switch just fine. The only problem is that the right channel still sounds bad like it's clipping at a low volume. :bang: Open to any suggestions.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Ok, that’s just 1 of the many switches in the audio signal path. ALL needs to be cleaned including headphone jack, phono/line switch, mode, record/playback, ext. spk switch, etc etc. Also, the record bar (record/playback switch) is notoriously difficult to clean properly because it’s hard for the solvent to penetrate. Best to make sure bar is vertical which may involve standing radio up on end, spray into one end and vigorously work it, repeat and again.

Reactions: Tubejunkie

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
Thanks for that advice Superduper. I will go ahead and clean everything up to point where I can eat off it :-D. Also, good point of flipping the stereo on its side while spraying contact cleaner so simple and effective yet it never occurred to me to try it lol. Many thanks for your help. I'll keep you updated. :thumbsup:

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
*Update*
I cleaned every input, switch, and pots with contact cleaner. Turned the boombox on its left side, then its right while cleaning the record bar, but sadly to no avail. The right speaker/channel is still sounding like its clipping/distortion on a low volume. o_O I'm starting to lose it lol.

Superduper

Member (SA)
If you are sure that there is no excessive resistance in the circuits from oxidation, corrosion or poor connections, then the problem may lie in the circuits and like you said, could be deteriorating caps or amps. If you are good with circuits, and have the time, you can troubleshoot it with the proper equipment and a circuit diagram. Or you could just re-cap the entire boombox and hope for the best. I will say, however, that there are easier boomboxes to work on and the circuitry on this model is challenging even for many seasoned boombox enthusiasts. You may wish to consider farming this out to old school techs.

Reactions: Tubejunkie

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
*UPDATE* Fixed the audio issue! Turned out to be 2 chips LA4440 & TA7205AP. Replaced both and now this thing BOOMS!!