Being Lazy

Transistorized

Member (SA)
So I replaced the belts on my Silver C100F 5 years ago. It's been running smooth except one little recent quirk. Sometimes the Tape Run decides it wants to freeze during tape play. The belt has decent tension but seems as though it has lost a little bit of its grip. Weird thing is, the tape counter still wants to go even when the tape run has decided to get stuck. The take up reel still turns the belt albeit slowly when the tape run stops. If it is the belt, it's just now at the stage where its wanting to cause an issue. It also may be worn bearings on the tape run box. Not sure at this point.

What I do know is, I'm not pulling the chassis anytime soon. What was my temporary solution? Well, there's this stuff called Magic Lube Teflon PTFE style silicone that you use on rubber O-Rings to keep them pliable. It makes the rubber a little more grippy and can rejuvenate dried out rubber. So I figured what the heck. I applied some with a q tip to the counter belt as it went around and it appears to have worked. The belt isn't cracked and is still snug so maybe this will correct the issue for a while.

It's going to need a new belt in the future so I already ordered it. I couldn't find a SBS 8.9 but I did find a PRB belt SCX-8.9. Ended up getting it.

I am being lazy and don't feel like fooling with it right now.

Reactions: floyd

Transistorized

Member (SA)
I have even substituted round belts for square belts to gain traction.
I may try that. Thank you.
Magic Lube is sticky stuff. In the pool biz, we use it on rubber gaskets that are exposed to water to help them maintain seal.
I am sure it will do an excellent job attracting the dust on my belt too..:hmmm: I will likely replace the belt before summer depending on how this works out...or doesn't 8-)

I have replaced the tape run belt before on both my C100Fs without pulling the chassis. It requires a bit of fiddling but when it works out, it saves a bunch of time.

floyd

Boomus Fidelis
So I replaced the belts on my Silver C100F 5 years ago. It's been running smooth except one little recent quirk. Sometimes the Tape Run decides it wants to freeze during tape play. The belt has decent tension but seems as though it has lost a little bit of its grip. Weird thing is, the tape counter still wants to go even when the tape run has decided to get stuck. The take up reel still turns the belt albeit slowly when the tape run stops. If it is the belt, it's just now at the stage where its wanting to cause an issue. It also may be worn bearings on the tape run box. Not sure at this point.

What I do know is, I'm not pulling the chassis anytime soon. What was my temporary solution? Well, there's this stuff called Magic Lube Teflon PTFE style silicone that you use on rubber O-Rings to keep them pliable. It makes the rubber a little more grippy and can rejuvenate dried out rubber. So I figured what the heck. I applied some with a q tip to the counter belt as it went around and it appears to have worked. The belt isn't cracked and is still snug so maybe this will correct the issue for a while.

It's going to need a new belt in the future so I already ordered it. I couldn't find a SBS 8.9 but I did find a PRB belt SCX-8.9. Ended up getting it.

I am being lazy and don't feel like fooling with it right now.
Wait till you get a nice sunny day and do it then .working on anything in the winter sucks and it's hard to get any motivation .
I would do all the belts so that way you don't have to mess with it for another 5 years.
I need to clean the volume control on my Trc 931 but I have no motivation either lol.