Be very careful about this member ( pillidan ) of boomboxery.

deech

Member (SA)
Long time not posted anything due to limited time.
I am posting this thread about a member whose username is pillidan and got me involved with a guy who
was a scammer at paypal about purchasing a pair of speakers for the SILVER SR 8000 .
I paid 150 usd and i never got them . This is going on since March 2024.

Reactions: floyd and Brutus442

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Thanks Deech. Nothing worse than a scammer except one that pretends to be a member here.

I hope you get some good news at some point soon and......It's good to see you around again :yes:

Reactions: deech and floyd

floyd

Boomus Fidelis
Long time not posted anything due to limited time.
I am posting this thread about a member whose username is pillidan and got me involved with a guy who
was a scammer at paypal about purchasing a pair of speakers for the SILVER SR 8000 .
I paid 150 usd and i never got them . This is going on since March 2024.
It's amazing when they have rare parts exactly when you need them.
Don't send any money without pictures of what there selling along with other forms of proof that they didn't just steal the pictures .

Reactions: deech and Brutus442

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Don't send any money without pictures of what there selling along with other forms of proof that they didn't just steal the pictures .
LOL.
This situation happened to me Floyd just before he Covid lockdowns. I found a local twit "selling" a Candle boombox I already owned but was looking for spare parts (antenna's etc) The miracle was the pictures were of my boombox, from pictures posted here. I began cordially asking for very specific pics like the battery compartment and close-up antenna details and of course after that request, he took he posting down before I could report it.

4 months later the scumbag pops up again, same photos, new name. I don't like water marking boombox photos but if it prevents someone from being scammed maybe it is worth it

floyd

Boomus Fidelis
LOL.
This situation happened to me Floyd just before he Covid lockdowns. I found a local twit "selling" a Candle boombox I already owned but was looking for spare parts (antenna's etc) The miracle was the pictures were of my boombox, from pictures posted here. I began cordially asking for very specific pics like the battery compartment and close-up antenna details and of course after that request, he took he posting down before I could report it.

4 months later the scumbag pops up again, same photos, new name. I don't like water marking boombox photos but if it prevents someone from being scammed maybe it is worth it
Yeah it's like someone stealing someone's dentures then smiling at them with their own teeth.

Reactions: Brutus442

Reli

Boomus Fidelis
Anytime someone "refers" you to a 3rd party who supposedly has what you're looking for, it's a scam. I mean seriously, why would someone's friend take the trouble of registering on BBXY just to see if anyone needed his friend's parts.

Reactions: Tinman

Superduper

Staff member
There is a common theme every time someone posts one of these "I got suckered" threads:

Someone sent funds TO A BRAND NEW MEMBER who NOBODY KNOWS using a payment method that is equivalent to CASH without recourse.

Corresponding with and buying things from a "new member" isn't and of itself always more risky than purchasing from established members. Old timers all remember Sinister, and for some, Blasterpunkt so unscrupulous scammers exists everywhere. However, if you do buy from a nobody, take steps to ensure that the product actually exists. Then use funds where there can be recourse if the transaction goes sideways. And if you suspect that the person is a scammer or exhibiting behavior that suggests such, alert other members or if you are unsure and don't want to sully a newbies reputation, you can send a message silently to a staff member so they can research further.

Paying for things using PayPal's family & friends feature isn't in and of itself a horrible thing. We've all done it because it helps keep greedy PayPal from taking a commission on a transaction negotiated between friends, and allows sellers to ship items using cheaper shipping methods where possible. But the operative word here is FAMILY or FRIENDS. If they aren't at least friends or long established members (and we do have a member feedback area of this forum), you could easily be kissing your hard earned funds goodbye.

So IF the potential buyer is someone you never heard of:
  1. Make a request for specifically posed photos that only someone in possession of the actual item can do. For example, ask the seller to place a handwritten note next to the photo with the sellers user profile written on it, or maybe next to a diet coke or Hershey's bar or something specific. Just remember that photos can be stolen and there's sellers all over FB Marketplace now using other peoples photos. After lots of research, I've discovered that FB scammers even steal peoples FB profile pics and make new accounts with the same name so everything looks legit at first glance. Common red flags are that they have listed the same item 35 times, in different states (just look at sellers other items). Or are fairly new accounts. Or they sell for incredibly cheap and asks for a deposit to mark it pending. Or their profile has no history. etc.
  2. View the sellers boomboxery profile. If the buyer only registered an account prior to sending you a PM, I would think it's highly likely that there's method to the madness and that person might instead be targeting you to be their next victim.
  3. DO NOT under any circumstances send "Family & Friends" payments to him or her. Even if it means potentially losing out on the HTF item you are coveting. Remember that scammers often use that FOMO (fear of missing out) mentality against you.

Superduper

Staff member
I don't like water marking boombox photos but if it prevents someone from being scammed maybe it is worth it
It probably won't help unless the watermark is over the center of the photo because the watermark can always be cropped. Even worse, they can use the watermark to pretend that they are you. Then if there is a victim, the victim might knock on your door asking where's my merchandise.

I have had people contact me through my website before asking when I'm going to mail them the item they purchased from me through eBay. My store doesn't sell items on eBay so it must be because the seller has the same or similar name to my website.

Brutus442

Member (SA)
It probably won't help unless the watermark is over the center of the photo because the watermark can always be cropped. Even worse, they can use the watermark to pretend that they are you. Then if there is a victim, the victim might knock on your door asking where's my merchandise.

I have had people contact me through my website before asking when I'm going to mail them the item they purchased from me through eBay. My store doesn't sell items on eBay so it must be because the seller has the same or similar name to my website.
If the watermark is strategically placed it'll be very difficult to remove/ alter.
If the watermark contains a generic statement or disclaimer it'll not be traceable (ie ) "ITEM NOT FOR SALE" or even better "THIS IS A SCAM". Our members would understand why it was down but prevents others from simply exploiting photos from the site for nefarious purposes. Regardless, a little awareness, and intuition can go a long way.

Reactions: deech

floyd

Boomus Fidelis
I think that there should be a minimum amount of posts required to access the parts/boomboxes wanted sections as well as the boomboxes/parts for sale section .
Also a little common sense when dealing with people you don't know.
Don't just hand over money without some kind of guarantee in place.

Reactions: deech

Brutus442

Member (SA)
I think that there should be a minimum amount of posts required to access the parts/boomboxes wanted sections as well as the boomboxes/parts for sale section .
I believe there is a minimum post requirement already Floyd.

However caveat emptor still applies to any purchase

Reli

Boomus Fidelis

Heck you can find posts on the Parts Wanted page just by doing a google search for a certain box. So even if they're not allowed to post, they know someone wants that part, so they'll just contact that person directly.

Superduper

Staff member
Heck you can find posts on the Parts Wanted page just by doing a google search for a certain box. So even if they're not allowed to post, they know someone wants that part, so they'll just contact that person directly.
Exactly. The problem is that these vermin are sending PMs directly to the target thereby circumventing any post count restrictions. The solution I would proffer is to restrict access to PM until the account is somewhat mature. Honestly there’s no reason for a brand new just registered member to contact others here since presumably, a member who registers an account today wouldn’t know anyone personally and certainly not well enough to request family & friends or Zelle transactions. On the other hand, these might be buyers who wouldn’t be nearly as risky as sellers. Ultimately if you’re a regular here, you already have all the tools at your disposal to ascertain who is new, and it’s really incumbent upon yourself to protect yourself. Just remember this: scammers would never be successful if they aren’t persuasive so just know that these people are successful because they’ve learned the con game and learned it well.

Tinman

Member (SA)
The car website I'm a member on won't let you sell there until you hit 100 posts/messages.
I've posted in the ''wanted to buy" section here several times and almost every time I've gotten the "contact scumbag@scumnet, he has one of these in great condition" message.

Reactions: Machaneus

Fatdog

Staff member
The car website I'm a member on won't let you sell there until you hit 100 posts/messages.
I've posted in the ''wanted to buy" section here several times and almost every time I've gotten the "contact scumbag@scumnet, he has one of these in great condition" message.
The new account settings should help lessen, if not eliminate, that from continuing. :beer2:

deech

Member (SA)
Its great to read that the system with those scammers will be updated i ve got bitten but i have his email adress because we exchanged several
messages , at first he wanted 50 usd then another 50 and so on via paypal as friends and family.
I m located thousands of miles away from him (he is in the USA) , i dont have the time to go after him so i guess i will live with
this hard learned lesson. I will be back on the matter with details when i ll have some more time.

Reactions: Brutus442