Aiwa TPR-955

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhiohki

Member (SA)
So I'm new the boards here after I was at my local thrift store and saw this cool looking aiwa boombox. I have some of Aiwa's micro mini separates which were made way back in the day and were of very high quality . I just left ithere since I had no idea if it was good or not. I did some research and quickly found this board so I joined. The boombox at the thrift was the Aiwa TPR-955H. Is it anything special? Everything seemed to work except the tape deck. The sucker even had shortwave on it which is cool. It was priced at $15.00. All buttons were there and it looked pretty nice. Wish I had taken a pic on my camera phone. Anyway, is this something I should pick up? How is the sound quality? Is the tape deck easily fixable? Any help would be great! Thanks

skippy1969

Boomus Fidelis
GOOD GOD MAN!!!! Go get that sucker!!!! :w00t:
It is a great unit and a great price. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If i saw that at a thrift store I wouldn't even think twice about snagging it..... :yes: :w00t:

rhiohki

Member (SA)
skippy1969 said:
GOOD GOD MAN!!!! Go get that sucker!!!! :w00t:
It is a great unit and a great price. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If i saw that at a thrift store I wouldn't even think twice about snagging it..... :yes: :w00t:

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. :-D

Let's see if they have it when I head back out there. The thrift store also had another boombox that i did get and I am listening to now and I'm still surprised at how good it sounds. It is the Panasonic RX-DT680. It is basically brand new and came with the remote. Everything works perfectly from my working with it..CD/Tuner/Tape. I tried it at the store with the CDs they had laying around and was blown away at the sound quality. I really wasn't expecting this thing to sound good. Then I tried picking it up and was surprised at the weight of it. Turned around, and once again, noticed that it seems to be bi-amped which was at least confirmed on the front of the unit as I didn't really bother to read the front text. Anyway, since it looked basically new and came with the remote, I picked it up as it was the same price as the Aiwa TPR-955H at $15.00. I'll head back out to the thrift store after the holiday and see if they still have the Aiwa.

Fatdog

Staff member
Welcome aboard, rhiohki. :yes: The DT680 is a nice score, especially for that price. The style of the 680 is not my favorite, but man, it has a wonderful sound.

I agree with Skipper. GO GET THE AIWA! :yes: :yes:

sony_apm_fan

Member (SA)
Welcome aboard! :breakdance:

680's sound great, and although not my favourie style I have two 680's and a 690. GET THE REMOTE TOO!!

TPR-955 - no brainer GO GET IT!!! :yes:

Lasonic TRC-920

MAN, I can never find $h@t at any of my local thrift stores! GO GET THAT AIWA!

Oh Yes....and the birth of yet another addiction begins! Right before out keyboards!

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
where are you ?? :-D

you sure do have a fruitful goodwill store --
the 955 and the 680 are both serious quality sounding boxes

oldskool69

Staff member
MasterBlaster84 said:
Welcome rhiohki you've come to the right place now get back over there and pick up both of those gems. :yes: :-D

Welcome and stop wasting time young man!!!! GO GET THEM NOW!!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rhiohki

Member (SA)
Thanks for all the great advice and replies guys. I went back and got the aiwa. It's in nice shape cosmetically. Functionally, everything seems to be working except the Cassette deck. I think obviously, it's a belt issue. Anyone have any idea of how/where to get replacement belts for this box? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sooner or later, I'll post some pics. Let me just say, the Awia TPR955 is a DANG FINE box, and because of it, I think I caught the bug.

I went out to the thrift and grabbed two more boxes. A sanyo and hitachi box. :yes:

MasterBlaster84

Boomus Fidelis
If your already in the thrifts snapping up boxes it's to late to stop the train, better clear some extra space at your place. :yes:
Congrats on the Aiwa, this is without a doubt a great box. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.