A sad day

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Not that I am going to tear it down just for this, but after 40 plus years, the original dial light burnt out in my Silver C100F yesterday. I noticed it while on AC power last night. At first I thought it was because I was on batteries. But no. One look at the battery level meter, I could see it was on AC.

No biggie. Just another indication of it's age. I know there are many options to repair. I just have to find a reason good enough to have it torn down far enough to warrant it's replacement.

BoomboxLover48

Boomus Fidelis
Incandescent bulbs to last 40 years is a lot! I still have those type of bulbs lighting on my high-end tube radios like Philips and SABA from 1964, 1956 and so on. Incandescent bulbs are much pleasing for the eyes. I like that original look. One Philips radio I have has an electroluminescent dial which looks really nice. See below:
1722263783515.jpeg

Many bulbs on my Akai and Teac reel to reel decks and cassette decks all are still fine.
A few that burnt were replaces with LEDs with light diffusers. I never liked the Christmas tree look with bright spots without light diffusers. I understand it is a personal choice!

Last edited:
Reactions: Transistorized