Restoration technique: Retrobright!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
I wonder whether there is any lasting damage to the plastic may occur from the exposure to the Hydrogen Peroxide that is not immediately apparent however. I have witnessed first hand how strong the oxidizing properties of hydrogen peroxide is. In fact, it is typically only stored in glass containers. A small dropper bottle was given to me by a friend. Last time I tried to use the stuff -- the rubber dropper had disintegrated, and it wasn't even in contact with the solution.

insanitor

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2011
No need to be scared of that stuff. Just rinse it off. I retrobrighted a lot of my stuff and the process has been out there for around a couple of years already.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Very cool!
hydrogen peroxide can be used to clean the bugs out of your cars radiator too,it just bubbles them out.
It works great!
I'll have to try it on boomboxes once............

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I'm actually doing this tomorrow. I've been waiting a while for a good clear weekend day, so I've had the stuff ready for a while. I initially purchased 35% hydrogen peroxide for the treatment, but soon found that you can buy Salon Care 40 Volume cream for a lot less, which has a 12% concentration. Then I found the video below and decided I'm going to just try some 3% and see if I can get that to work and hold on to my more concentrated stuff for perhaps more stubborn future retrobrite sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ewI7nMgrB8

toshik

Member (SA)
Mar 1, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
I did some reading on the subject and it seems that the main problem is that the yellow might come back in a few years.
The yellow is mostly due to the UV exposure (in our case the radio rear panel sitting on a table facing the window).
So the question is how to preserve it for the future. I read about some UV blockers and treated it with "Armor All" for now (mine still has no yellow).

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Correct, you can only minimize its progression. But, considering how long it takes to come back to a point that's noticeable, I'll just do it again. A UV blocker is a good idea, although it will have to be reapplied regularly.

He doesn't mention it in the video, but I've read multiple accounts of using cellophane to prevent drying out, which cuts processing time.

Dbzerk

Member (SA)
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne Australia
caution said:
I'm actually doing this tomorrow. I've been waiting a while for a good clear weekend day, so I've had the stuff ready for a while. I initially purchased 35% hydrogen peroxide for the treatment, but soon found that you can buy Salon Care 40 Volume cream for a lot less, which has a 12% concentration. Then I found the video below and decided I'm going to just try some 3% and see if I can get that to work and hold on to my more concentrated stuff for perhaps more stubborn future retrobrite sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ewI7nMgrB8
Is it advised you protect the labels on the back or does this process not harm the labels?

Status
Not open for further replies.