Sharp Boombox score! Sharp Optonica CD-X17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
When I got in to work today I found a boombox sitting across two chairs in my office.
WTF is this??? I picked it up by its stubby twin handles and damn was it heavy!
My boss gave me a Sharp / Optonica CD-X17. This thing sounds nice and has bad ass 3 way speakers hooked to it.
It features a Cd player and a twin cam tape player, but unfortunatly neither work. Both doors are jammed, but I'll take it apart to see if they play or not later. (Too many side projects on deck, one being work :lol: .)
It's says it was built in 88' and draws 95w, with the speakers being rated at 35w and judging by the fat heat sink out back this thing really does push out said watts!
It sports a 4 band EQ with X-bass which is a sub on each speaker firing backwards. The speakers themselves are the most impressive thing about this box, which is pretty high quality. It has really cool twin Level meters on the bottom Also, no batteries to power this thing. Not really my style, but pretty cool regardless, It's doing duty as a office muzak system across the hall.
Check it out. :-)

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Freakin' A!!!! That thing looks wicked. :devil:

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
That's one of the heavyweight midi systems from the late eighties. These were starting to take over for the super heavyweight boom boxes like the PC-55 et al because it was soon realized no one carried these outdoors much let alone power them with batteries. (Thus no battery capapbility.) Super nice find! :thumbsup:

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
Ira will tell yo that no battery capability is easy to overcome :) BUT I bet this thing would eat batteries like tic tacs!!

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Very Cool! That box has an "AKA". It is the Yamaha YST-C11. :yes: When I took my Yamaha apart I noticed that the boards and some of the IC's had "Sharp" printed on them. I always wondered what box was the Sharp twin for the Yamaha.
Great catch man,your boss is a good guy to give you that. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Check out the back of my Yamaha, the amp heat sink looks like your Sharp. :hmmm:

JLF

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Pacific Northwest
He gave that thing to you?

That box is hot! I love it!

I dont remember seeing that model before?

One more BBX to keep my eyes open for!

Congrats!

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Wow that's awesome, what a cool Sharp. :thumbsup:
Has serious looks to it like it will kick butt and sound sweet doing it. I'd be lucky if my boss gave me a cassette tape but I'm not holding my breath. :nonono:

Johnny

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
MIDWEST
Wow that's awesome, what a cool Sharp. :thumbsup:
Has serious looks to it like it will kick butt and sound sweet doing it. I'd be lucky if my boss gave me a cassette tape but I'm not holding my breath. :nonono:

Same here my friend!! :yes: :lol:

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Yeah my boss is pretty cool, but I'm also a hell of an employee! :lol:
His hobby is buying and selling at auctions. He actively goes to auctions and lets me know if any pop up, and usually picks them up for me. He certainly knows about my affliction with these boxes, because I usually keep a couple at work in my office.
It's always cool to have another set of eyes looking for you, friends, family, bosses, whoever! ;-)

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
His hobby is buying and selling at auctions. He actively goes to auctions and lets me know if any pop up, and usually picks them up for me.

That's a great set of eyes to have looking. :yes:

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
thats a bad assed unit man. the speakers are a little different from the yamaha . one wicked unit man. have fun with it.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Top score Z! Looks like Sharp made this as a direct response to Sony's FH series from the look/design of it.

Good luck fixing the decks and CD!

Rock On.

Status
Not open for further replies.