Lady in red - now with hat (completed)

yammi99

Member (SA)
Jun 13, 2018
Germany
Recently I found this small Boombox online. The seller did not mention the type, just wrote “small red boombox”. I clearly recognized, that it was the Sharp GF-8, quite seldom in red color. It was offered as “not working” for a small price.
Probably the seller did not know, that the micro processor and so the tuner / clock part only works, when 2 AA batteries are inserted. After a first cleaning I gave it a try – and the radio worked. Also the tape part worked without problems, including program search and auto stop.
The optical condition is quite good, just a small scratch.

Sharp GF-8 b.jpg

Sharp GF-8 a.jpg

Only the hinged cover is missing, like for most of these devices. So I searched for a 3D print service in Germany, that could make me a new one. After some search I found one. I made a drawing, send it to them for CAD creation and now it will be printed. Costs me around the same as for the complete boombox, but it is OK. I will show a picture later (when I did measure right and it fits). :-D
Cover 1.jpg
The display light was only weak and in green color (not my taste for a red device). Therefore, I changed it to an orange LED. Doing so, I also added an orange cassette deck illumination.

Sound is quite good and loud for such a small boomer.

Sharp GF-8 c.jpg

Sharp GF-8 d.jpg

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I can't honestly say that this little gem in red had the same appeal as the silver version but your tinkerin'and a-tartin' up has made a huge improvement, Looks like a keeper to me. :yes: :thumbsup:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Oh, man! That is beautiful! I don't think I have ever seen the GF-8 in that color. :drool: :cool:

yammi99

Member (SA)
Jun 13, 2018
Germany
As I got the 3d file from the print service, I made a first try with my own 3D printer. As I can print max. 22cm, I had to split the cover into 2 pieces.
IMG_20190126_134924_ji.jpg IMG_20190126_134942_ji.jpg IMG_20190126_135002_ji.jpg

A have chosen a lower resolution, just to see, if it would fit. It needed just some grinding and then I glued it and sprayed it with matte black color.

IMG_20190127_163606_ji.jpg IMG_20190127_180024_ji.jpg
Now the Sharp has again a “hat”. Will print it soon in finer resolution and spray it in metallic red.

yammi99

Member (SA)
Jun 13, 2018
Germany
So, here is the little red BB with a new cover in red. I printed it with higher resolution and sprayed it with metallic red color.
Now it is my new BRR (Bath Room Radio) :-D

GF8 in the bath room 1.jpg

GF8 in the bath room 3.jpg