Can I connect iPhone to Philips D8444 to listen...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Schooler

Member (SA)
Jul 13, 2017
Italy
Hello guys, I have a question for you.
Can I connect the iPhone to Philips D8444 through "LINE IN" and headset exit?
I don't know if "LINE IN" is a function to listen or recorder only.
I wold like to listen the mp3 on Philips.

Thanks

Attachments

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I have that model, and Line In doesn't work correctly. Try adding an external headphone amplifier. If that doesn't work, you're out of luck. Use an MP3 cassette instead.

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
To stop the deck motor running, put some plastic rod to the circled REM -hole.

This model has really aggressive ALC, so if you got very bassy music, it will lower the volume and starts sounding very muddy. Adding a headphone amplifier may just worsen the experience. I removed the ALC by desoldering one pin from the IC that controls the recording level, and the line in worked very well after that!

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Line Out said:
To stop the deck motor running, put some plastic rod to the circled REM -hole.

This model has really aggressive ALC, so if you got very bassy music, it will lower the volume and starts sounding very muddy. Adding a headphone amplifier may just worsen the experience. I removed the ALC by desoldering one pin from the IC that controls the recording level, and the line in worked very well after that!
I’d be interested in seeing how you did this as I have 3 if these lol

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
One of my old topics has information about this.

"Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:39 AM
Next thing that I will try, is to cut the pin no. 7 of the TA7658P chip. That's the preamp for the tape deck with integrated ALC (automatic level control).
http://pdf1.alldatas...BA/TA7658P.html
In the datasheet, pin 7 is named as "ALC control input". And I figured it could possibly disable the ALC so we could get the box working better with "Line in"."

"Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:05 AM
Yess! Cutting the pin no. 7 seemed to disable the ALC altogether. Though cranking the bass knob (at over "6" or three o'clock) muffles the treble, but only if treble knob is turned up.

Also one plus side is that it does not need much level on the line-in now. So a lower powered mp3-player should also be enough to get a good volume. These are just based on a few minutes of playing but will test more and update, but for now, seems reeeeaally promising!"

EDIT: Now that I read those, I noticed the thing about treble and bass knobs acting weird. I have to test soldering the pin 7 back on, and see if it has any effect on the tone controls...

Status
Not open for further replies.