Aiwa Exos-9 tribute to the Aiwa 880 *UPDATE* with NEW "blu_fuz Custom Handle"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
As most of you know, I recently bought the Aiwa Exos-9 Bluetooth speaker. And like many of you, I wasnt in love with the "modern look" Here is what I started with...
2016-02-17 11.13.44.jpgView attachment 25373

I had an idea in my head before the E9 even arrived, to pay respect to the old school Aiwa 880.2016-02-17 11.11.56.png
So I ordered up some vinyl wrap with a blue brushed metallic look, and some Spaz Stix paint and got to work.2016-02-17 11.09.55.png2016-02-17 11.09.02.jpg

The rings around the tweeters do not simply pop off like the others do, so I left them alone and on the E9. Once the other speaker trim rings were removed, I measured and roughly cut out some holes in the vinyl to prevent it from sticking to the foam speaker surrounds.2016-02-17 11.13.03.jpgView attachment 25378
After applying and smoothing out the vinyl, It was time to trim off the excess. My Xacto knife came into play when it was time for trimming.(excuse the bad lighting)
2016-02-17 11.11.30.jpg
After patiently trimming the vinyl, I did a dry fit with the soon to be painted trim rings.View attachment 25380

Time for paint. My first attempt at the tweeter rings were done with a paint pen. The result wasnt what I wanted, so I masked the E9 up, and decided to spray paint them instead.
2016-02-17 11.09.18.jpg
All of the trim rings were 1st sprayed gloss black, and set aside to dry for 3 days before applying the "chrome" paint.
View attachment 253822016-02-17 11.08.42.jpg
After the chrome paint is dry and cured, it has sort of a dusty haze to it. So using a soft microfiber cloth or, I gently buffed off what looks like overspray, until it shined up.
2016-02-17 11.06.46.jpg2016-02-17 11.03.57.jpg

All trim rings polished up nicely and were put back into place. DONE. Although this will never look exactly like an 880, I think the appearance changed dramatically. Its an AMAZING sounding Bluetooth box, and now it somewhat has some new attitude. I placed the grill on just to see how it looks, but to me it hides too much of the color. View attachment 253872016-02-17 11.01.50.jpg
So I will leave the grill off.

So here it is, the finished product, enjoy, and if you ever have a chance to hear one of these, its well worth a listen. Long live the Old School, hope you enjoy my tribute to the Aiwa 880...Cheers!2016-02-17 10.16.35.jpg2016-02-17 10.15.44.jpg2016-02-17 10.59.14.jpg

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Wow, that came out perfectly - I agree, the grills hide your Exos-9s new found beauty.

Aiwa will have to make them like this from now on - it simply makes the standard Exos-9 look like a DIY job!

If you really want to replicate the original 880 look, then a blue grill would complete the look - the blue vinyl and chrome paint will really pop then!! :-)

Well done,

James.... :-)

howie1976

Member (SA)
Nov 14, 2014
SoCal
Slo, you just did what Aiwa, an established global company, couldn't do. I know that the CEO is a real down to earth guy that loves to interact with the customers. He needs to show you some love. You just gave this amazing sounding box the street Cred it was lacking. That is huge!!! You have no idea how many people you just convinced to buy that box. I really hope Aiwa realizes this. Mad props Homie!!!!

Martin123

Member (SA)
Dec 12, 2015
THE GOLDEN STATE
Huge difference even with the grill on. It looks boring the way Aiwa sells it. You really made it come to life and those chrome rings are great. Are you thinking of adding a handle or a strap? Very Impressive Slo!

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Holy **** that looks amazing dude. What a nice way to pay homage to the 880 and throw some mild flair on it. Well done.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Thanks guys :-D I thought about painting the grill as James suggested, but its so hard to see through this grill I don't know if it will still be hard to see through or not. For now I'm just gonna leave it off. I emailed a few pictures to CEO Joe Born and he liked it. He asked for a link to this thread once I posted it here. I know AIWA has a Facebook page, but I don't have Facebook.

As far as a handle or strap goes, I'm still undecided. I like hardmens idea, maybe he can custom make one for me :w00t: (hint, hint Mauricio) :lol:

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Cpl-Chronic said:
Holy SNAP!!! :drool: SLO, You F'en rocked it out of the park on that color scheme & I learned more about how to do chrome paint the right way.....DAAAAMMMNNNN!!!!

Cpl
Thanks brother :-D All I did was go by the steps in this video for the chrome paint technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkG5kW3u6kQ

It really helped me because Im not really experienced with paint like a lot of other members here, but this was pretty basic stuff compared to some of you folks that customize with paint. But the results came out pretty good for paint out of a rattle can.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Steve, you really brought out the hidden personality and lineage of this box, tieing it straight to the 880.

I have never owned an 880, but have been lucky enough to have seen / heard them and they are a classy box. Your Exos-9 looks fantastic. I could see this working in red as well.

You guys are still breaking new ground. I love the idea's you all are coming up with!

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Thanks Chris, I'd love to own an 880 myself, but I don't see them floatin around for sale regularly. But maybe someday. The custom possibilities with this blank black box are endless If you choose to put the time into it. I didn't mind the work, It was a fun lil project and now it stands out a bit. Sunny outdoor pictures to follow...

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
FANTASTIC JOB STEVE...

Maybe I make same blue paint working on mine too...

I will see what I have in my job for built a handle for your E9.

Stay tuned.

Cheers.

EDIT: For those that don't see the carry handle yet.

CAM01405.jpgCAM01406.jpgCAM01407.jpgCAM01408.jpgCAM01410.jpgCAM01409.jpgCAM01411.jpgCAM01413.jpg

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Dude, that is pretty ballsy to purchase a brand new piece of kit like that and go for a custom job.

It has however come out so nice, you really need to send these pics, and a link to this thread, to the Aiwa marketing department cos it looks 500% better than the original.

Personally, I like it better with the grills on, it seems to remind me more of the 880 looking that way :yes:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
im_alan_partridge said:
Dude, that is pretty ballsy to purchase a brand new piece of kit like that and go for a custom job.

It has however come out so nice, you really need to send these pics, and a link to this thread, to the Aiwa marketing department cos it looks 500% better than the original.

Personally, I like it better with the grills on, it seems to remind me more of the 880 looking that way :yes:
I agree! :yes: :yes: :-D Plus they can come with a center piece on the woofer cone area in silver or chrome, with a blue LED lit AIWA logo.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Wow Steve! I'm getting a kick out of this upgrade. A modern design with lots of angles, but all that black just killed it, as it does so many boxes.
My first blue boombox is waiting at the front office for me to go pick up, your gorgeous work will keep me happy for now :-)

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I can only echo every encouraging comment so far. :yes: :thumbsup:

You've set a new standard that Aiwa should take note of and give serious consideration to. I wouldn't be too surprised if your results will be acknowledged throughout the webby thing and directly inspire others to take up the challenge. Will this go viral? I sincerely hope so! :rock: :clap: :hooray:

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Thank you for the positive comments everybody ;-) But no matter how much bling we add to the E9, some will still hate it Lol, which is fine, and expected for collectors of classic boomboxes/radios or anything vintage for that matter. Change is tough sometimes.

hardmen said:
FANTASTIC JOB STEVE...

Maybe I make same blue paint working on mine too...

I will see what I have in my job for built a handle for your E9.

Stay tuned.

Cheers.

EDIT: For those that don't see the carry handle yet.

CAM01405.jpg
CAM01406.jpg
CAM01407.jpg
CAM01408.jpg
CAM01410.jpg
CAM01409.jpg
CAM01411.jpg
CAM01413.jpg
Great work Mauricio, I wish Aiwa would have just made a nice old school style handle on this from the start, I guess they were trying to keep it simple, which they did.

im_alan_partridge said:

Hisrudeness said:
Does that mean the warranties are now void? Lol! Like the blue 880 tribute.
LOL, yes to customize something brand new is a little risky, but it HAD to be done. The plain black box just wasn't working for me. I haven't sent this link to Joe Born yet but I will. I emailed him 3 photos of the end result yesterday.

As for the warranty, Im not sure if this voids it or not :hmmm: but its all cosmetic and nothing internal so Im hoping I will not need to use the warranty for any issues. So far so good! Originally my plan was to have the front face prepped and painted, but the vinyl wrap was easier and less risky, for me anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.