Dirty Pioneer Disco Robo gets the treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMcBlaster

Member (SA)
Jan 19, 2014
Brisbane,Australia
Well I've had this one on the go for a while but it's finally back together and came up really nice. It was filthy.....absolutely the dirtiest box I've gotten into ;-) .

Gave it a strip down and bubble bath and it's looking very pretty again.

It sounded like a wet fart on even minor volume.....you can see why in the pics. Got the speakers re-foamed and now IT IS LOUD!!!! It's actually really quite loud, not the nicest sound in the world but it'd certainly dominate at a busy house party. Hope you enjoy the pics......

Oh yeah, special thanks to Poonpoon613 for the epic button pads he sells here on the forum. They are truly awesome quality and without the new button pad it'd still look pretty crappy I reckon, it really did set it off!

Pretty dirty....
IMG_0384.JPGIMG_0388.JPGIMG_0527.JPG

The insides....(also pretty dirty)....
IMG_0392.JPGIMG_0399.JPG

Twin ports....for that hifi experience no doubt :lol: :lol: :lol: ....
IMG_0542.JPG

Speakers before re-foaming (they were all in the same state) and after re-foaming :afro: ....
IMG_0526.JPGIMG_1726.JPG

Much better :rock: ....
IMG_2268.JPGIMG_2271.JPG

Strapped in for safety....
IMG_2431.JPG

Always a good day to break out a box in our city......even mid winter :cool: ....
IMG_2440.JPG

The somewhat rare and elusive red Pioneer Disco Robo in its natural habitat......in the ghetto blastin'.....nothin' but mids baby :rock: :rock: :rock:
IMG_2448.JPGIMG_2452.JPG

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
poonpoon613 said:
Really long time. Finally see your pioneer disco robo repair
:clap:

Now I've had seven pioneer disco robo
:thumbsup:
Every time I see anything posted about the Robo I always think of you and your fine collection.

You are the Gordie of Robo's :lol: :yes:

I think this would be a cool radio to have, but I have never seen one. Did they sell these in the US?

Mystic Traveller

Member (SA)
Jul 28, 2014
St. Petersburg, Russia - Oxford, GB
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Did they sell these in the US?
What might be interesting as well - in a few years neither I nor my hobby pals have ever seen Robo on Yahoo JP,
of course, that's doesn't necessarily mean Pio Robo was never for sale in Japan itself but anyway raise some suspicions about that. :yes:

Maybe somedody saw purely 100V only Japanese domestic version of Robo?

MrMcBlaster

Member (SA)
Jan 19, 2014
Brisbane,Australia
It's funny hey what people class as "rare" and pay the big $$$'s for in different parts of the globe. For example ANY old Lasonic is rare down here simply because they never sold......but Robos, well they seem to be popping up more and more every week but I guess you guys in the States/UK just don't see them come up at all. But having said that they're still demanding some stupidly ridiculous prices on eBayAU, especially in red......and believe me you'd be pretty unhappy with the sound quality if you forked out $1200 for one that's most likely got perished foam surrounds as they all seem to. BUT you can't knock their looks.....totally unique, nothing remotely similar and for that reason alone deserve a spot on any collectors shelf. And although I say the sound quality definitely isn't HiFi they are mighty powerful and as a party box they'd do the job they were intended for

Status
Not open for further replies.