De-Yellowing Plastics With Retr0Bright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Not sure if anyone has done this before and reported it, but I'll be posting my experiment in here as I go along. Skippy mentioned it in this post a few years ago, but I'll be putting it to the test https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/8226-restoration-technique-retrobright/?hl=retr0bright

I've been meaning to make some of this stuff up for a long time and use it on some of the plastic pieces I have that have yellowed an I have now I've bit the bullet and started the process. Two ingredients down, and two to go, I'm hoping try it out this weekend.

I've got a couple of mini boomboxes that need Retr0Brighting and numerous other video game/80s design pieces I'll be working on.

I'll add more pix and such to this thread as I go along.

I'm following the second recipe from here: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

Hydrogen Peroxide and Oxy Laundry booster are in hand, Xanthum gum and Glycerine should be here this week some time.

IMG_1042.JPG

I'll get some pix of the stuff I'm working on and try to document the steps, and hopefully some success!

Rock On.

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
There used to be a really good cleaning agent available in the UK but it got banned. Damn its goning to bug me now, i cant remember its name. TBH i think it may have been a pan cleaner so probably to harsh for plastic.

Good luck RIck i will watch this thread with interest. Its always good to know a few resto tips.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
I tried it on the back case of my C-100. 6 applications over 48 hrs. with good sunlight. Nut'in.
I think it's the wrong kind of plastic.
Did wonders on my Addidas though!

GHETTOBLASTER4LIFE

Member (SA)
Aug 20, 2009
ohio
I used Peroxide and sunlight for 12 hours on my yellow jetfire g1 transformer and it turned out minty white...hope this works on boomboxes :yes:

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Good to hear some positive results already being achieved, guys!

My prized Aiwa mini is going to be the radio I'll be Retr0Brite-ing. I've taken a couple of photos on a white background for some 'before shots'.

P3190161.JPG
P3190164.JPG
P3190169.JPG

The close up shot shows the obvious colour difference between the other white parts of the radio such as the handle and fascia that have remained the correct colour.

The glycerin I need turned up today, one more item left to turn up (which should be here tomorrow according to the tracking) and the weather is looking good for Saturday!

Rock On.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
You might have to go to the old school bmx mag wheel trick. Soak in a bucket/tray of bleach for day (s) if needed, rinse, and apply a plastic conditioner afterwards.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Well after a day of exciting experiments the results are IN!

The Aiwa I used the solution on has markedly improved! The comparison shot I just took gives a great before and after. The colour of the Aiwa is no longer a browny-yellow and is more a creamy white. I don't think this is as white as the original colour, but I think this Aiwa has suffered some UV damaged over the years, that the Retr0Bright formula can't fix. Either way, it's a HUGE improvement to the over all look of the radio and really sets it off.

I'll take more photos tomorrow and post the other successes I had with it (I Retr0Brighted seven other things too).

comp1 copy.jpg

Rock On.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Ok, sorry for the delay, here are a couple more comparison shots with the Aiwa, followed by comparisons of the other things I Retr0Brighted. I added some more fanservice shots of the Aiwa below that. This is now my absolute favourite mini, I just can't stop looking at it. I think I'll do a proper shoot this weekend with it as she's very photogenic and I have to most perfect cassettes to match the design.

comp 2.jpg

comp 3.jpg

comp 4.jpg

comp 5.jpg

P3240183.JPG

P3240185.JPG

P3240186.JPG

Overall all I'm very, very pleased with the results. I have enough peroxide left to make another batch up, so I'll organize some more things to Retr0Bright up soon. Craig expect a PM for the Yorx imminently my good man!!

Rock On.

Status
Not open for further replies.