Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Hey box freaks, :yes:

What's crackin'?

Well, I finally went the final step with this speaker revision. I've been successfully running 2 pairs of woofers, 2 BOSE @ 2.5-OHM & 2 PIONEER @ 3.2-OHM & they sounded good but the BOSE woofers are punchy & the PIONEER woofers are a bit overpowered by the bass from the BOSE SUPER woofers. It still sounded very good & full but I wondered what 2 more mid-bass BOSE woofers would sound like when matched with the BOSE subs & the M70 tweeters that are loaded into the horns. Hmmmm........

This would mean I am running 2.5-OHM nominal on all 4 channels/woofers while the tweeters are 8 OHM & an easier load in parallel with the outer woofers, I hope. It just might work...... :yes:
If so, when on wall power, I can get a good 10-12w watts output per channel x 4. :yes: Just like the CONION C-100. It is LOUD too!! Nice & loud for sure but nicely balanced, especially for a boombox.
Well. Here are the results, as good as I can capture it on video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mtXnR4VM6Y&feature=youtu.be

What do you think of the recording? hopefully you get the idea at least that this blaster is ready for some head to head battles. BRING ON THE CONIONS!!!
Cheers,
Cpl

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
How are you dealing with the rattles? I tried a different set of speakers in mine and it sounds like the box is literally tearing itself apart...

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
sometimes I use electrical tape to pad the mounting surfaces for the woofers. I used that trick for the M90. I also use acoustic insulation to slow down the air movement around chassis, etc. You have to play with materials & use trial & error to get it right but it pays off eventually. Be patient & work the problem in your mind & solutions come. This is the 3rd & final revision of speakers for my 777Z. All configurations sounded good each had its own characteristics but this set is by far the most musical & heavy hitting of all. Plenty of Bass, Treble & very clear sounding in the mids. The BOSE Mid-bass woofers are a great match for the BOSE subs. I used a bit of PHAT-MATT sound deadening butyl for the rims of the outer speakers for a proper seal. That is the important step to properly seal the mounting rings to the speaker baskets. I still have a small rattle in the battery door from all of the moving air but I will solve that too.

Cheers,
Cpl

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
2 months of testing.....Still sounding good & strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0a0zvfWP8E&list=UU8dvRdzmRSNoWOyxr2GYHeA

Final Opinion......

I still have to tweak the crossover to match the new woofers & do some more dampening of the cabinet but overall she works just fine. All 4 channels are @ 2.5-OHM nom. Since the BOSE woofers have a smaller voice-coil & a hard dome, I'm pretty sure they can go as high as 8Khz. To my ears, they are a good overall full range, mid/bass driver with a well behaved load to the IC's. My tweeters are 8 OHM & crossed at 3Khz to match my old 3.2 OHM drivers that could only hit about 2-3Khz so I have to bump up the x-over point to about 6K, I think, to compensate for the new BOSE woofers. I'll post more when I'm done testing....

Cheers,
Cpl

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Well I reckon that leaves no room for doubt: The thing kicks massive arse! I have had my laptop connected to some very high-end separates to listen to all of your demo vids and it genuinely is amazing. I actually quite like the way a good, stock GF-777 sounds but your modifications undeniably take that good boombox and make it great. The only downside is that I'm going to have to buy one and do something similar to it. Oh well, it's only money and we can't take it with us.
:lol:

bring on the C-onions....
Er, OK, if that's what you want, here's a bunch of them:

:w00t:

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
Congrats, man. You finally find the right speakers for this project...
The sound is very powerful now...

Status
Not open for further replies.