Sharp GF9191XE refurb part 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
So I picked up this wreck of a Sharp GF9191XE with the plan to see what I can do with the wreckage...its all semi-working but its a mess with cracks, bits missing, posts broken, tape door hinges bust etc...just how I love em :w00t:

So this is this thread is part 1 which is just the back casing

From the front it doesn't look too bad

The only part rattling around the bottom of the box was the missing aerial clip so that was handy!...have built up the missing pieces with various bits of plastic sculpted to shape using the good old dremel tool, then car bodywork filler, losts of sanding, then a full repsray.

It was pretty tricky as the biggest missing parts were the indented bit and the bit around the aeriel clip...took some working out that did! Had to rebuild several of the lugs and strips around the edge that hold the front casing in place too...it'd clearly had a bit of a fall lol

I've not aimed for perfection as its only the back of the box and its taken a lot of hours to get here.

Pretty pleased with the outcome...definitely a bit more presentable than how it was at the beginning! Now to start on the front!!

Anyway these are the pics in the right order :-D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
im_alan_partridge said:
Great work Si, im sending all my repairs your way :yes:
Cheers matey...I just like a challenge lol...its actually more work than it looks too...the aerial clip will take some forces on it when you clip the aerial in and out so I've had to cut plastic in layers that slot in giving as much contact area for the glue as possible...there are probably 8 or 9 separate pieces around the aerial clip alone but its as strong as an ox now

blu_fuz said:
A lot better than before! :cool:
Thanks!...it was completely minging wreck before so I think driving over it in my car would've improved it to a degree lol...but yes its nice now...shame the rest still looks like crap lol :lol:

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Great work!
These kinds of repairs are time consuming and challenging but are so rewarding when your done and it looks so much nicer!! :)

bklyn sound

Member (SA)
Dec 7, 2011
there is a lot of work there....not easy to take a box all apart especially when it need's such heavy repairs... trust me I know :lol: :lol: you did a geat job ...no sit back and enjoy.. :hooray: :hooray:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
bklyn sound said:
there is a lot of work there....not easy to take a box all apart especially when it need's such heavy repairs... trust me I know :lol: :lol: you did a geat job ...no sit back and enjoy.. :hooray: :hooray:
Yeh it's easy to underestimate the work and hours involved in this sort of repair but its very satisfying when its done and looks ok...might have to put this box on the shelf with the back facing forward just so I can see it lol ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.