Sharp GF9696 drive rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was waiting for working on my GF9696 to replace the top panel I got from Jeff (Ghettoboom767, Love you bro, thank you so much! ) and also cassette door from him. The last time when I was trying to fix the cassette I ran into issues with getting the right size tube to replace the rubber that made a mess on the capstan axle. This rubber sleeve on the capstan make contact with the drive wheel and functions as the main drive of this boombox.

Basically a rubber sleeve hidden between the two bush bearings exposed through a cut serves the function well except for the longevity of rubber used in the 80s. The rubber sleeve shows up through a cut in the axle assembly to engage with the drive wheel.

Years back I slipped the weather proof insulation of an electric wire to replace the messed up rubber wheel on the capstan. The interior was non uniform on these wire insulations so it gave the drive wheel a bumpy ride, but didn’t afffect much on the tape play function.

Today I went through my RC Gasoline engine car, RC plane toolbox and accessories to look for any tubes that I can slip on the capstan for this need.

It was such a lucky day! I found a tube that was a perfect fit for this need. Also I found all replacement belts for the boombox from my previous orders of belts from studio electronics.

Now I am enjoying my Sharp 9696 which is one of the best boomboxes ever made!

The length of the tube on the capstan axle is 24mm. We need a 14mm tube length for this need. Longer tube lengths gives more area of contact on teh capstan to give a better hold to it. The final adjustments can be easily done by pulling the flywheel slightly back to move the tube to the front end for better contact with the drive wheel after the bearing behind (next to the flywheel) the flywheel is mounted well.

The bearing close to the flywheel is lubricated first before the tube is slipped in. After the flywheel assemblies with the bearing are all slipped in, lubricate the outside bearing that one see from the cassette side. I used high temp white silicon grease for the bearings.

The red sleeve in the picture is the one I used before for this need. It became so handy to make measurements and not to lose the teflon fwasher next to the flywheel.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I believe the pictures will help our members here if they have to to rebuild their drive on GF9696 or similar series of Sharp.

:yes: :yes:

I'll post s few more sexy pics of F9696. :w00t: :yes: :yes:

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
Great job Royce! Glad Jeff was able to help. Jeff is such a great friend. He's always willing to step up and help out with anything he has.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thank you Adam! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Jeff is such a great guy!

Because of him I revived this beauty and made it look great!

I had no excuse when I received the parts from Jeff! :lol: :yes: :yes:

It was all blessings......... one after the other.

I got so lucky to find parts and fix it.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance:

bklyn sound

Member (SA)
Dec 7, 2011
wow....great job royce i love it ...I'm so happy for you..the pics look great..jeff is our 9696 :angelic: :angelic: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
bklyn sound said:
wow....great job royce i love it ...I'm so happy for you..the pics look great..jeff is our 9696 :angelic: :angelic: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:-D :-D Hi JImmy, Thank you for your kind words! :yes: :yes:

YesJeff is our savior and you gave me all the motivation! :yes: :yes:

He woke me up to from my sleep to work on my GF 9696. I had no where to escuse when parts came in,

:breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :surf: :surf:

bklyn sound

Member (SA)
Dec 7, 2011
BoomboxLover48 said:
bklyn sound said:

:-D :-D Hi JImmy, Thank you for your kind words! :yes: :yes:

YesJeff is our savior and you gave me all the motivation! :yes: :yes:

He woke me up to from my sleep to work on my GF 9696. I had no where to escuse when parts came in,

:breakdance: :breakdance: :breakdance: :surf: :surf:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Thanks guys!! I'm glad I was able to help. ;-)
That old abused 9494X I have will help many boomboxes!! :-)

I'm enjoying restoring mine,thanks for the detailed information about
the measurement on that tube-I always had to kind of guess but
my tubing is small gas line which works ok.

This helps on making it more precise,thanks! :-) :-O

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Ghettoboom767 said:

Bro, Let me know if you need any help!

You might have to pull the flywheel out and make the fine adjustments. Pulling out flywheel will bring the tube part closer to the front.
So fine adjustments are done like that. Make sure no lubrication gets underneath the tube. :nonono: :nonono:

Only the side bush bearings gets the lube. :yes:

Help is free for you and any members here bro! :yes: :yes:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
What a beauty Royce :drool: great job on the restore job. Jeff definitely has come through to get lots of these 9696's back to original, totally awesome :thumbsup:

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Your now fully operational GF9696 is truly a beautiful looking box!! :drool:

You should consider making up some GF9696 'service kits' including all the usual consumable parts e.g. the correct sized belts etc. You could make some $$$s!! :thumbsup:

James.... :-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
BoomboxLover48 said:
Ghettoboom767 said:

You might have to pull the flywheel out and make the fine adjustments. Pulling out flywheel will bring the tube part closer to the front.
So fine adjustments are done like that. Make sure no lubrication gets underneath the tube. :nonono: :nonono:

One other suggestion is to sand smooth the ends of tube and scuff up outer drive section ;-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
baddboybill said:
BoomboxLover48 said:
Ghettoboom767 said:

One other suggestion is to sand smooth the ends of tube and scuff up outer drive section ;-)
Good suggestion Bill! That is correct! :yes: I slipped the tube over the wood handle of Q Tips Wood Cotton Swab, and used 1000 grit 3Mâ„¢ Emery Polishing Paper

The ends of the tube I cut it well slipping the tube over the wood and using a new razor blade. It came out so good. I didn't sand the ends of the tube.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Your now fully operational GF9696 is truly a beautiful looking box!! :drool:

You should consider making up some GF9696 'service kits' including all the usual consumable parts e.g. the correct sized belts etc. You could make some $$$s!! :thumbsup:

James.... :-)

:-D :-D Thank you James! :yes: :yes:
:breakdance:

Hurb

Member (SA)
May 8, 2012
Amsterdam, Netherlands
pinterest.com
BoomboxLover48 said:
Good suggestion Bill! That is correct! :yes: I slipped the tube over the wood handle of Q Tips Wood Cotton Swab, and used 1000 grit 3Mâ„¢ Emery Polishing Paper

The ends of the tube I cut it well slipping the tube over the wood and using a new razor blade. It came out so good. I didn't sand the ends of the tube.
Amazing to see how we all end up doing the same stuff: http://www.boomboxery.com/forum/viewtop ... 47&t=18421 I sand smoothed the edges of the tube but didn't lube... is that absolutely necessary?

Love the 9696!! wish I could find one in the Netherlands....

Status
Not open for further replies.