The Dead Horse That is "Line In"

Status
Not open for further replies.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Got tired of pushing the "record" button and eating batteries unnecessarily with the tape motor. My apologies to the purists, but it is my boombox. I won't get into tech, but let's just say it took a lot of soldering and probing to get it right.

:breakdance:

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Alasondro Allegre said:
Nice job :thumbsup: , but for batterries saving you could mount a motor on/off button somewhere on the back and listen to your mp3s in the old way.
That would be waaaaayy too easy. :no: Plus, I don't like any switches or terminals in the back unless it is in a recess for carrying purposes.
And, with this mod, I don't get "hiss" from the tape head.

Stuntman Mike

Member (SA)
Sep 24, 2010
Germany
On some Radios you just have to push the Record Button, and the Motor doesn´t run. I sometimes simply disconnect the Motor, if the belts are anyway gone. :blush:

jollyrancher120

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Tallapoosa GA USA
I would appreciate some technical details. I am about to attempt a similar mod on a Sanyo M-9923. I think I can tap into the timer setting on the selector switch. Thanks for any information to avoid pitfalls you may have encountered.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Stuntman Mike said:
On some Radios you just have to push the Record Button, and the Motor doesn´t run.
Yep, boxes like that are cool. The Telefunken CR8200 is like that.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
"Right" was getting the sound from the "Line -In" loud and clear. I jumped the RCA's and probed the board, starting at the tape head (which sounded like "thpppp") and worked my way up the amp. That was after I installed the on/off switch for the amp. It also switches the jumpers from the RCA's. I added an "on" indicator LED so I wouldn't leave the amp on for days at a time.
The box still functions exactly as it should. Deck records from Line-In, Mics, and Radio just like bone stock. That was another part of the "right".
The only change visually is the switch and LED I added to the side panel. It killed me to cut a hole in it but the install came out super clean. The 3mm LED fit perfectly in the hole next to the Left Mic Input. The MOD is completely reversible, minus the hole cut for the switch. That's why I figured I'd apologize to the purists.
It was a real PITA without a schematic, but I was Hell-Bent.
I'm no tech by any stretch of the imagination, but I am very happy with the result. :-D

Edit: The LED is next to the RIGHT Mic input. I'm anal about accuracy.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
jollyrancher120 said:
I would appreciate some technical details. I am about to attempt a similar mod on a Sanyo M-9923. I think I can tap into the timer setting on the selector switch. Thanks for any information to avoid pitfalls you may have encountered.
jollyrancher120,
Your best bet would be to follow the steps I outlined. And with a schematic, you can find the best place on the board to tap into. No schematic was my major pitfall, but I need instant gratification. A multimeter and a decent set of headphones are essential tools for this mod.
From what I've read here, superduper :superduper: is a much better resource than me.

Superduper

Member (SA)
You might want to consider adding it this way next time.

https://boomboxery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12363&hilit=wards+line+in

Basically, you just add a stereo switched 1/8" jack so that the tuner is switched to aux when a plug is inserted. No other modification is needed, all the original circuitry is retained, and the power switch works normally. Set mode to tuner, plug in ipod, and voila.

You just need to add the jack, which is no more intrusive than adding a switch and an led, but at least you don't need to remember if you switched the amp to on/off, nor does this involve randomly probing the circuit board which could result in taking out transistors and diodes if the probe slips.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Thanks, superduper!
I cannot believe this never crossed my mind! :dunce: That's almost exactly how my little baby JVC is switched! Call it "tunnel vision", I guess.
Well, the deed is done. But my brother wants a Line-In on his little GE, so I will definitely go this route for his mod. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.