Wrong voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
I'm sorry but I just don't agree with asking for any kind of a refund, when the damage was self caused. The item arrived in damage free working condition. It would be up to the user to check/verify voltage settings prior to plugging in the device, especially one that is 35 years old and possibly traversed more than one continent at some point.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
You are lucky you had a nice and friendly seller :yes: .

I probably would not refund someone who blew up the trafo but then again I would not ship out units that are set on 110V unless they do not have a voltage selector.

I still think it's a shame you did not catch the burning unit on tape :lol: :angelic:

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Smoke started pouring out of my nose and ears when I was reading your post Norm, does that mean I just smoked my primary winding? I'm going to have to go check my fuse. :lol:

Norm you write technical jargon really well. :thumbsup:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Don, your primary windings is located in the left side of your brain and should read no more than 250meg ohms or it can be considered shorted. I have a special volt meter to plug in and check for shorts or open circuits but you will end up looking a bit like frankenstein afterwards.

I stand by my assertion that asking for a refund is improper and NOT good news for anyone. The seller could have purchased this at a flea or estate sale, or imported it years ago, or any number of reasons. It's not a new in box item that comes with operating instructions and warnings. Anybody living in a location with 230 volt mains and purchases used items should always check the voltage settings before plugging in a used device. The world has now literally become a world market, especially when it comes to old collectibles. Just understand that the sword cuts both ways. Next time you are a seller, you will see.

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
The refund was not about the trafo thing. In that case I agree, that it was not the sellers fault even though I'm slightly pissed because of the whole thing anyway. I asked for a partial refund because the speakers have no foam surroundings which was not mentioned in the item description. The descirption said "radio sounds clear" which implies that the speakers - however bad they might look - at least put out sound that is somewhat proper. These don't.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
my 2 cents is that norm and zippy are then both right -

never ask for a refund when you break something :nonono:

always demand a refund when the faults are not revealed

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Zippy said:
The refund was not about the trafo thing. In that case I agree, that it was not the sellers fault even though I'm slightly pissed because of the whole thing anyway. I asked for a partial refund because the speakers have no foam surroundings which was not mentioned in the item description. The descirption said "radio sounds clear" which implies that the speakers - however bad they might look - at least put out sound that is somewhat proper. These don't.
Typical seller.......He claims ignorance about the speakers, or acts like he is not a collector, so that the buyer won't expect him to be knowledgable about it.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
Zippy said:
Typical seller.......He claims ignorance about the speakers, or acts like he is not a collector, so that the buyer won't expect him to be knowledgable about it.
It's very hard to tell if a seller is a true idiot or just pretending to be one!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Reli said:
Zippy said:
It's very hard to tell if a seller is a true idiot or just pretending to be one!
There are a few who write like they're fresh off the boat......I'm talking 3rd/4th grade level English at best...........

So there are 3 possibilities:
1) Fresh off the boat.
2) Dropped out of high school 20+ years ago and never practiced their writing skills since.
3) Jackoffs who are trying to fool ebayers into thinking they're illiterate and unable to answer questions.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Reli said:
There are a few who write like they're fresh off the boat......I'm talking 3rd/4th grade level English at best...........

So there are 3 possibilities:
1) Fresh off the boat.
2) Dropped out of high school 20+ years ago and never practiced their writing skills since.
3) Jackoffs who are trying to fool ebayers into thinking they're illiterate and unable to answer questions.
TOTALLY....

The percentage of the people actually doing these things....

1) 5%
2) 35%
3) 60%

4) people who give a F 0% :thumbsdown:

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
I think the seller really didn't know better and of course didn't want to be ripped off either. He was open for discussion and fair and I'm very happy about that :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.