Why do I do this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurb

Member (SA)
May 8, 2012
Amsterdam, Netherlands
pinterest.com
Guys, somebody stop me!! I've almost finished restoring a Sharp GF8585HB that I bought over a year ago now.. This box was in horrible condition, worst I had bought until then and not that experienced with resto's. Needed the Sharp treatment, new belts, even a paint job to get it representable (and worth showing here). During the proces I thought for many times: "this is the only and last time I buy a junk box like this".

But last week..... this GF8585H shows up, a version with better looks imo, proper grills, at least one antenna ;-), not too expensive and on traveling distance.... Pictures we're vague, communication with the seller non-existing.... But I kept thinking, what if this is a great one.... Today my gf picked it up for me (Ow-Yes!) and a nightmare came true. I looks like this guy found it in a bat-cave :evilmad: I even suspect a couple of those are still in it...

Why, why, why..... It's killing me!! Believe me I'm proud to give these boxes new life, enjoy this forum and you guys, your help and expertise very, very much. But sometimes I would rather be protected from buying the real scrappy ones...

Please I need some comfort, will be only all night..... cleaning.....

2013-08-27 20.09.19.jpg
2013-08-27 20.09.39.jpg
2013-08-27 20.09.56.jpg
2013-08-27 20.10.34.jpg
2013-08-27 20.11.58.jpg

Attachments

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
I intentionally pick up the beaters. I certainly can't afford them in top condition. I think it makes them that much more special when I bring them back to life. I was told that my C100 was actually about to be tipped into a dumpster before my buddy told his dad to stop because he knew I was looking for a blaster. It's been on ever since.
...And all my "beaters" are now beauties. :w00t:
It's not for everyone, but I enjoy the processes of troubleshooting, repair, and restoration.

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
I agree there is something theraputic about restoring these SOB's.

IMO the other grilled 8585 looks better :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.