Which one looks better for you? And which sounds better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Kestasme said:
My sharp 9000 should be arriving later this week. Can't wait to feed that sexy box some bass to make that Vu metter shake! :breakdance: .
On a side note: What is the differnce between Phono in and Line in? And just to be sure the GF 9000 has line in right? Asking because Phono in doesn't seem to work with anything you connect with an audio cable, like an MP3/MP4 Player,Phone,Computer,Radio etc.
Only thing I can comment on is Sharp 9000 vs. Lasonic 931.. The 9000 is a more crisp, clean sound while the 931 is more thumping, weak highs.. You wont get any bass from the 9000.. :-/ I wouldn't connect a digital media to the phono input because the signal is way too much for the phono input.. Back in 2004 when I first got my 9000, I used a cassette tape adapter to play my Minidisc player through the 9000.. The Lasonic would be more user friendly for audio devices input..

Size comparison of the two..

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
MONOLITHIC said:
Kestasme said:
My sharp 9000 should be arriving later this week. Can't wait to feed that sexy box some bass to make that Vu metter shake! :breakdance:
I've got a Sharp GF-508SB (Japanese version of the GF-9696)... If that's somewhat of an indication to how the GF-9000 sounds when it comes to bass, you're gonna be very disappointed! Haha!
I have one of those. True, it doesn't have as much total bass as the top boxes, but I think that the bass it does have hits deep & low, compared to the other Sharp GF's....

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
I hate to add a new layer of discussion for this topic, but I'm going to anyway!

All this talk about sounds is MASSIVELY dependant on where and how the boombox in question is going to be used.

If someone's going to use it indoors at low-medium volume nearly any box of reasonable quality will have generally great sound. Some may
need some better positioning for maximum quality, but you can get get great results from all but the cheapest of cheapies most of the time.

If you plan on using it out side in a stationary position then you need more power for the sound to be able to carry at a decent volume and clarity.
Lots of boomboxes weren't made to go above 7 for any amount of quality sound, and sometimes that's not loud enough for them to do the job.
That said, the TRC-931, S90, M90 and GF-535/9000 can do all these admirably.

If you're planning on carrying your boombox however, AND you want bass while carrying, you'll probably find the 931 and M90 will be the only
2 up to the task (of these 4). Simply because the volume level carrying is probably the highest you'll ever have it. I'm constantly surprised at how loud a boombox
has to go to get good sound while walking around with one. Especially when I get indoors and have to cut the volume by about 50% to be able to hear absolutely anything else. To get good bass and overall sound quality at volume this is the ultimate test, especially busy areas with traffic and such. I've got a lot of boxes that I can carry but only when I get the settings perfectly balanced, and this is nearly always at the expense of the bass so that the volume is still reasonable.

The S90 although a supremely magical box indoors is not up to the task of being carried and played at high volume. The M90 is stellar with both. I'd take a TRC-931 over a GF-9000 any day of the week for carrying purposes too.

It's all about how you're going to use them though, that's the question you need to ask before deciding which box is going to be up to the task I reckon. And the plainly obvious solution is to have all 4. S90 for inside listening, Gf-9000 for cranking outside, M90 for powering an outdoor party and your TRC-931 for walking around with. Problem solved!

Rock On.

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Lol that goes back to what I said before about most of us having more than two of these crazy plastic boxes. :-D
They all have their special purpose.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
I found it interesting that a Sharp GF-9000 popped up on Epay recently, (for a ridiculous price) which I haven't seen any others on there for at least 9 months...
But, you can find about a 1/2 dozen Lasonic 931's on there any day of the week...

:fly-kite:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
JustCruisin said:
I found it interesting that a Sharp GF-9000 popped up on Epay recently, (for a ridiculous price) which I haven't seen any others on there for at least 9 months...
But, you can find about a 1/2 dozen Lasonic 931's on there any day of the week...

:fly-kite:
i think its because they made like billions of trc 931's . that would explain them out numbering the gf 9000.

Kestasme

Member (SA)
Jul 11, 2012
Lithuania
Big replie sons ^^. Anyways i formed a picture out of all 20+ replies. I think The 9000 WIll still fit my needs, because i do not use boxes outside alot. And i know the difference of Bass level needed inside/outside D:. On a side note, i dont want to start more threads, so i will ask here: Will it be possible to connect the 9000 with my panasonic http://www.shizaudio.ru/audio/data/medi ... CW31L_.jpg which only has line out/headphones. Since the Sharp has Line in,Line out,Phono In,Headphones, i think it SHOULD be possible?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Kestasme said:
Big replie sons ^^. Anyways i formed a picture out of all 20+ replies. I think The 9000 WIll still fit my needs, because i do not use boxes outside alot. And i know the difference of Bass level needed inside/outside D:. On a side note, i dont want to start more threads, so i will ask here: Will it be possible to connect the 9000 with my panasonic http://www.shizaudio.ru/audio/data/medi ... CW31L_.jpg which only has line out/headphones. Since the Sharp has Line in,Line out,Phono In,Headphones, i think it SHOULD be possible?

it is possible all you need are rca cables and switch the 9000 to line in , the line out on the panasonic should send a signal on all functions .

Kestasme

Member (SA)
Jul 11, 2012
Lithuania
Sorry i meant Line IN on Panasonic, but by your post i understand that i could plug the 3.5MM cable in Line out In the GF 9000, then plug the 2 other ends into L&R on Line in on my panasonic, right? it should work i think.
EDIT: Im afraid that the Line out will have a jack for each L and R, and if so would it still work if i plugged 1 end in say L and the other two in L R in the panasonic. Would it still play stereo on the Pana without quality loss?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Kestasme said:
Sorry i meant Line IN on Panasonic, but by your post i understand that i could plug the 3.5MM cable in Line out In the GF 9000, then plug the 2 other ends into L&R on Line in on my panasonic, right? it should work i think.
EDIT: Im afraid that the Line out will have a jack for each L and R, and if so would it still work if i plugged 1 end in say L and the other two in L R in the panasonic. Would it still play stereo on the Pana without quality loss?

that should work with the standard ipod cable that as the 3.5mm plug on one end and 2 rca jacks on the other end and should play stereo no problem .

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Gluecifer said:
I hate to add a new layer of discussion for this topic, but I'm going to anyway!

All this talk about sounds is MASSIVELY dependant on where and how the boombox in question is going to be used.

If someone's going to use it indoors at low-medium volume nearly any box of reasonable quality will have generally great sound. Some may
need some better positioning for maximum quality, but you can get get great results from all but the cheapest of cheapies most of the time.

If you plan on using it out side in a stationary position then you need more power for the sound to be able to carry at a decent volume and clarity.
Lots of boomboxes weren't made to go above 7 for any amount of quality sound, and sometimes that's not loud enough for them to do the job.

If you're planning on carrying your boombox however, AND you want bass while carrying, you'll probably find the 931 and M90 will be the only
2 up to the task (of these 4). Simply because the volume level carrying is probably the highest you'll ever have it. I'm constantly surprised at how loud a boombox
has to go to get good sound while walking around with one. Especially when I get indoors and have to cut the volume by about 50% to be able to hear absolutely anything else. To get good bass and overall sound quality at volume this is the ultimate test, especially busy areas with traffic and such. I've got a lot of boxes that I can carry but only when I get the settings perfectly balanced, and this is nearly always at the expense of the bass so that the volume is still reasonable.

The S90 although a supremely magical box indoors is not up to the task of being carried and played at high volume. The M90 is stellar with both. I'd take a TRC-931 over a GF-9000 any day of the week for carrying purposes too.

It's all about how you're going to use them though, that's the question you need to ask before deciding which box is going to be up to the task I reckon. And the plainly obvious solution is to have all 4. S90 for inside listening, Gf-9000 for cranking outside, M90 for powering an outdoor party and your TRC-931 for walking around with. Problem solved!

Rock On.
I think your spot on with this Rick.Unless your carrying a radio on your shoulder 70's style, you loose 70% of your volume outside and the only way to get it back is adjusting out some "Indoor Settings Bass" and push the volume to the limit. For me, the 935 does this beautifully....With the radio in hand it's perfect....until you walk between a building and a car and you realize how frigen loud it really is :w00t: :lol:

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Gluecifer said:

Rock On.
I think your spot on with this Rick.Unless your carrying a radio on your shoulder 70's style, you loose 70% of your volume outside and the only way to get it back is adjusting out some "Indoor Settings Bass" and push the volume to the limit. For me, the 935 does this beautifully....With the radio in hand it's perfect....until you walk between a building and a car and you realize how frigen loud it really is :w00t: :lol:
im sure all will agree that rick and chris are the authority on walkin with boomers so what they say must be true...and it makes all sense

Status
Not open for further replies.