Where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
Since my obsession started...then the tape buying.
I suddenly realised the era of production that mixed FOR boomboxes. Just seats right in the functionality of the machine. Learn something new every day hahah

I know I know I’m predictable...big audio dynamite hah

Btw...thanks radioactive! I’m getting on that now! Is it a UK thing as well?

And tangential addition...that small Tobishi is incredible beautiful design!!! Agreed?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Hard to say, I don't read all of them. Also most sellers are either dishonest, too lazy to inspect, or just ignorant about radios.

Jay9

Member (SA)
Oct 3, 2017
Reli said:
Hard to say, I don't read all of them. Also most sellers are either dishonest, too lazy to inspect, or just ignorant about radios.
Yeah the one that gets me, “don’t have a tape to test player but moves when pressed”

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
I bought my black 9191 from Germany and have bought there several times with good results. Last buy went a bit to **** in that the seller neglected to mention that someone had been in it and ****ed it up. In stereo the left volume controlled the right speaker. In mono if you put both volume controllers to half way, when you turned either down the volume went up. Seller didn't think this was worth mentioning. Pretty unhappy. I would never sell a radio this way. The 9292 is in the corner waiting for when I'm less mad with it lol 😂

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
eBay is sort of a lost cause these days with even low end models chasing silly money. Trusty old Gumtree has gone the same way too with mostly eBay relistings.

Roadside collections have been the best bet so far. I'll never forget my best find - a roadside freebie Sharp GF-9696 I found a couple of years ago!
https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/23588-sharp-gf-9696-junker-rides-again-updated-20615/?hl=%2Bsharp+%2Bgf-9696+%2Broadside

As found:
IMG_4594.PNG

After a little love:
IMG_4595.PNG

The GF-9090-9696 series are super robust particularly in the tape deck department. When looking for one of these boxes, I'm more interested in the condition of the tuner and amp sections.

It's great fun finding them in the wild for sure!! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.