Wheely parts.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
I'm possibly buying a Helix Wheely, and trying to get a jump on looking for parts.

Needs 5 or 6 cassette keys, both antennas and two tuning/mixing knobs that I know of for sure. I felt like somebody had already started 3d printing some of these? Eric or Norm maybe???

Antennas I'm not as concerned with yet.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Yes! I drew the battery cover, spare tape door, and the deck keys. They're all here
You might want to hit up Norm about the keys, I remember drawing a special version of them with embosses in the keys and a separate set of tokens you'd glue in there, like made of aluminum or another plastic or whatever, kinda like this:

Reactions: Tinman

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Oh right on! I figured one of you two were likely on top of it. Gotta decide between the coarse or the fine ridges now....

I just got the radio yesterday. Has all the left deck keys, but only 1 of the 6 keys on the right deck.

Not sure which set it makes sense to get, since neither will match the chrome on the left.... too bad we haven't figure out an economical way to chrome the 3d printed stuff. Lol.

20230628_183340.jpg

Superduper

Member (SA)
If I were you, I'd get keys for both decks, so they'll match. On these old big empty black boxes, honestly aesthetics is probably more important than sound. These aren't high quality decks. BTW, if you can't locate originals and are interested in the Shapeways stuff, contact me first. As caution said, there is an additional "custom" set with embossed symbols which I haven't added to the store yet. That embossed symbols are recessed and we also have a model which can be printed in a different color (or maybe real metal) to be inserted into the recess for a dope look. I asked caution to draw those up so I could rig them into my own wheely, but then it turned out mine had all the keys so I didn't need them. The insert was intended to be printed in metal, then sanded and polished so they'll look like chrome. It'll be a lot of work though so you decide.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
If I were you, I'd get keys for both decks, so they'll match. On these old big empty black boxes, honestly aesthetics is probably more important than sound. These aren't high quality decks. BTW, if you can't locate originals and are interested in the Shapeways stuff, contact me first. As caution said, there is an additional "custom" set with embossed symbols which I haven't added to the store yet. That embossed symbols are recessed and we also have a model which can be printed in a different color (or maybe real metal) to be inserted into the recess for a dope look. I asked caution to draw those up so I could rig them into my own wheely, but then it turned out mine had all the keys so I didn't need them. The insert was intended to be printed in metal, then sanded and polished so they'll look like chrome. It'll be a lot of work though so you decide.

That sounds pretty slick, I've polished many a metal, being in the autobody industry my whole life. Might be pretty cool. Assuming it's probably even a bit most cost wise than the plastic?

I'll be surprised if I find originals, but I'm also not in a rush to restore it. I've got plenty of projects ahead. But it'd be cool to have stuff ready to go.