What's the most underated box in you're collection guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I looked at the speakers they had on eBay however the surrounds looked cracked so I steered my ship in the other direction as I am not good at repairs and would've felt like it wasn't a good deal if they rattled. Plus there isn't any issues with mine at the moment but figured a backup pair would be nice :-)

Eventually over time we will all need someone who knows how to rebuild a speaker in our lives :-)

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
here is the original advert for the pc5 with the globetrotters...sorry guys im just obsessed with her at the moment lol

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjt1pDM0ZfXAhVCNhoKHZoUC7cQtwIITTAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dp9Ynfx6PITc&usg=AOvVaw28g_4bMyFnyRCxxrwwSw2B

edit

Tranzistorised, not all speakers need a re foam, i have a pair of sansui from the 70's that are like brand new

just those that use foam that will need doing, hope this helps dude :-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Very interesting thread subject. I could pick a few, but I think I'm going to try to hold to a few criteria.

#1 Price. There are some radio's that go for super cheap and are great performers
#2 Looks. There are some radio's that don't look all that great, but the sound quality makes up for it.
#3 Size. There are some radio's that are slightly smaller than a typical "Mid-sized box" (say the M70 as the benchmark 'midsizer') That punch above their weight class.
#4 Perceived low build quality. There are some radio's that are either from a known low quality manufacturer, came into the game late (late 80's, or early 90's) or were just one off name plates.

But with all that said, I really feel the Lasonic TRC-918 is a totally under rated box.

If we go through the list above:
Price: These can be found for penny's on the dollar and are fairly common. If you don't see one now, wait a little while, they show up often for CHEAP!
Looks: At best, the look like a Sanyo rip off, but the look is kind of bland. They did make some variants of these boxes and some are better than others. And one with it's chrome intact looks great in the sunshine.
Size: The size of the 918 is about the same as a Realistic SCR-8, not tiny, but they come off as small in pictures IMO.
Perceived low build quality: Lasonic has a bad reputation for build quality (some of it inflated, some of it justified), but the 918 suffers far less and in fact, one of the best radio's they ever made. It doesn't use the troublesome rotary function switch that plagues the 920 and 931.

The TRC-918 has some features. It has Cr02 and Metal tape playback, stereo wide settings and some have Short wave 1 & 2 (mine doesn't). Opposing LED VU meters.

IMG_20171030_123544.jpgIMG_20171030_123656.jpgIMG_20171030_123712.jpg

Mine is a warn out old beater. But a proper 918 has a solid low thumping bass, with crisp highs. The woofers are 5 inch I think and are shared with the L30. The preamp is EQ'd to provide a very solid THUMP. They also use the famous Red/Orange tweeters shared in the 920, 922, 931, 935, 951 and 975 so you get great over all volume. These go pretty loud and hold it together very well. They use good old reliable knobs and push buttons to get the job done.

In my opinion, one of the most under rated radio's that can still be found dirt cheap (at least before this post :lol: )

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Nice thoughts Chris, i’m With you, I think the price to audio output to nostalgic feel is important when deciding.
I have a few in mind but I still think the Philips d8614 is superb bang for the buck in quality and has great 80’s appeal too.

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
The 8614 is another icon! Outstanding tape playback with a sound that still belies it's appearance! Comparison tests with my many big stereo demonstrate this with the 8614 outperforming pretty much all the others!! Love the logic deck too, yeah this is a mighty one piece that deserves recognition as something pretty special.....

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Nickeccles said:
The 8614 is another icon! Outstanding tape playback with a sound that still belies it's appearance! Comparison tests with my many big stereo demonstrate this with the 8614 outperforming pretty much all the others!! Love the logic deck too, yeah this is a mighty one piece that deserves recognition as something pretty special.....
Totally agree these are superb boxes..guys...watch all the prices go up once reading this thread lol....take the pc5 it normally sells for very low coinage like most of them here....and it's sentimental for me as it was the boomer that started me collecting some 15 years ago but i sold her because of her condition and just forgot about them....

anyway thanks everyone didn't quite expect so many replies.....nice one guys :thumbsup:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
JVC Floyd said:
Also the panny rxc 45,
those little bastards are rabid wolverines. Hella awesome and classy little monsters.
If it's anything like the rx 60 they are little monsters indeed and put shame to many boxes with 8 inch woofers...i need to get one as they can be had cheap...it's a good thing floyd that most people don't like 3 piece lol

edit

i mean take the sanyo 920 for example which i totally love...the rx 60 urinates on it and spits it out backwards for sound lol....sorry sanyo920 lovers and yes im one of them :-)

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
OK, the real question is, are people listing these radio's just so they can then list the very same for sale :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Damn iv been rumbled Chris lol...mine are all for sale, 30 grand on stereo2go :lol: :lol: :-)

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Nickeccles said:
Spot on! I have three of these in my collection in the ol' resto queue, the sound is rich and warm - a pleasure to the ear. :yes:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
skippy1969 said:
I would have to say that my Telefunken CR8200 is my most underrated box. It sounds fabulous and is quite loud and a nice easy to handle size.

I love it !,
reminds me of the homely bitches with that good pussy

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
Too many underrated boxes that I had in mind have already been mentioned -- notably the Telefunken CR8200, of which I have the Universum Senator aka. So I'll add to the list the Philips D8514. Being in the logo, this box is probably not so underrated as I thought. I stumbled across one almost by accident and I couldn't believe my ears: trebles are extremely well defined and the bass response is on pair with the 8614, if not even better! Believe me this box embarasses bigger and more titled units -- and it looks real cool

Status
Not open for further replies.