whats the deal with jvc

Status
Not open for further replies.

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
I don't think you can trust the Japanese or JVC to come up with anything decent anymore.... after all this abomination made it through their focus groups. :hmmm:

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
I'm sorry but that thing looks hideous!!
My opinion-I wouldn't even want to be seen with that!
Have a great weekend-GB. :-/

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
And it is not like it was a one-shot deal either..... (Do you think it would be possible to carry one of these through an airport without getting arrested? I think NOT. :thumbsdown:

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Johnny said:
Is it a radio or a jet pack? :lol:

The designers must be super geek space nuts or military types, how else could you explain all the tubes and crap designed into those JVC's. I laugh like hell at the thought of the designer presenting the concept drawing for one of those in meeting and having the CEO clapping and shouting we'll sell one of these to every stupid kid who wants their stereo to be show off bling.
:lol:

Boom Shaka Laka

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Detroit
71spud said:
I don't think you can trust the Japanese or JVC to come up with anything decent anymore.... after all this abomination made it through their focus groups.
Oddly enough - as far as I know - these monstrosities are not available in Japan. Victor stuff is a lot more subdued. Not sure what that means.

MONOLITHIC

No Longer Active
May 6, 2009
Illadelph, East Coast
twitter.com
Boom Shaka Laka said:
71spud said:
I don't think you can trust the Japanese or JVC to come up with anything decent anymore.... after all this abomination made it through their focus groups.
Oddly enough - as far as I know - these monstrosities are not available in Japan. Victor stuff is a lot more subdued. Not sure what that means.
Maybe they think (and know) it's crap that only Americans will buy! :-D

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
MONOLITHIC said:
Maybe they think (and know) it's crap that only Americans will buy! :-D
Well from what I see the kids these days are all about instant gratification and the look at me bling so I can see that being the case. The youth around my neighborhood are definitely different than when I grew up. Don't get me wrong we liked the instant gratification and bling but it just seems to be at a much higher level now.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
I remember seeing those engine block stereos for the first time around 2000, and even then, thought they were disgusting. The originals from memory were a lot more understated and were more classic-car influenced than todays models, they took more of the chrome and dashboards elements' style. But this engine-styled garbage is just horrible.

The irony is the engine is the 'functional' part of any machines design that can't really be changed and the outer housing is designed to be where all the pretty is. But this engine-stereo crap just makes ugly more ugly by making it the only design element. I can see the beauty in engine design, but theres nothing thoughtful or elegant about any of these pieces of crap.. just banal, obonoxious rubbish.

I don't know who's buying these.. maybe the blind are buying the lions share.

Rock On.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
I picture the few that do buy these regret it when their friends come over.

Blind man: Hey come check out my awesome new stereo.

Blind mans friend who can see: What the hell is that thing (friend falls on floor laughing uncontrollably)

Blind man: Hey listen to this.

Blind mans friend who can see: Stop, turn it off your killing me it hurts. Oh crap call an ambulance! (friend splits a gut and is now bleeding on the floor).

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
those jet exhaust stereos by jvc are made for kids man. i mean some kids have a degree of good aestetics
most tho get mom and dad to by them stuff that looks like cars they arent allowed to own yet.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
Maybe we should reach out to JVC with some well written emails and try to poke them into this direction???

If the Lasonic is the only kid on the block now, that's pretty sad.

I say JVC should do a retro styled new box called the M100!

It would need to have:

• [*:3iydn06f]Radio (digital okay)
    [*:3iydn06f]VU meters (Analog preferred, but LED would be okay like can be found on the Sharp GF-9696)
    [*:3iydn06f]Front load horizontal CD player where you can watch the CD spin How cool if you could record to CD???!!!!.
    [*:3iydn06f]Cassette Deck with record capability (but that probably won't happen)
    [*:3iydn06f]MP3 Player dock via standard Line-in (both RCA and 3.5mm plug) or via USB interface where you could plug in a zip drive or portable HD loaded with music.
    [*:3iydn06f]5 band equalizer
    [*:3iydn06f]3-way speakers with 8" woofers
    [*:3iydn06f]Carrying Handle
    [*:3iydn06f]Battery compartment
    [*:3iydn06f]No cheezy stickers or colors. It should have some chrome and tasteful retro design elements. Silver or dark gray metallic (like M90).
    [*:3iydn06f]15~20 watts per channel output

Priced in the $400~$500 range.

I would buy one.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Jaetee I would certainly be interested and I think Lasonic proved there is interest. I also think Lasonic proved people want a better box, not so cheasy and cheap, build it with the craftsmenship of the vintage boomers then stuff it with current technology. :-D

I don't expect any company to spend time or money installing tape decks although that would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.