What is the best sounding and most powerful boombox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Rimmer36 said:
...Oldy i certainly dont mean to diss you by dissagreing ok :-) but dont know about specks n all but everybody of my friends has heard battle with my m90 against the 3 m3ntioned boxes and all agreed my m90 left them standing... where i do agree is those big fh series nothing compairs to them...

No sweat man! It's a spirited debate and there is nothing wrong with that. :-D

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Cool thread!
I love my JVC-PC55JW & C!! They get ridiculously lous but like Freddie says-thay lack a little in the bass department.
My M-90 is so excellent,there's hardly a better boombox for warmth and seperation!! It's a special box. :yes: :cool: :drool:
Now my Pioneer CK-R5 is a serious contender,the sound is so clear-so clear not as loud maybe as a M-90 but so nice.
It's the same on batteries!! I like that,so is the M-90!
My next hitter is going to be a FH-7!! These are the "bomb'!!
I want Ira's Rotel!!!! :-O :surf: :thumbsup:
Heavy hitters-that's what it's all about!
Have a great night-GB. :-) :yes: :cool: :choco: :breakdance: :agree: :surf: :-O :thumbsup:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
oldskool69 said:
Rimmer36 said:
...Oldy i certainly dont mean to diss you by dissagreing ok :-) but dont know about specks n all but everybody of my friends has heard battle with my m90 against the 3 m3ntioned boxes and all agreed my m90 left them standing... where i do agree is those big fh series nothing compairs to them...

No sweat man! It's a spirited debate and there is nothing wrong with that. :-D
:-) :cool:

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
oldskool69 said:
Jeff...somehow get those speakers on the Pioneer restored...you don't really know what she can do until then. ;-) :-D
Hi Freddie-I sure will even if I have to buy another!!! :-O
How's the "Pitbull" running tonight? The modded GX-300 isn't it?

BTW-I have to run the Pioneer SX-V90 for some tunes tonight!! At 125 watts per channel @ 0.003THD
Better yet-It boasts 156 WPC Peak @ 0.03% THD!!! Yes home stereos are needed some nights!! :-O :-P :yes: :-)

Freddie-I just made a special place next to my bed for the new CK-R5!!

Have a great night-Jeff. :-) :yes: :cool: :breakdance: :choco: :agree: :surf:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
:agree: GB get those speakers refoamed also PLEASE get your m90 fixed brother i could have built an m90 by now the time it's taken you :lol: :-)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Rimmer36 said:
:agree: GB get those speakers refoamed also PLEASE get your m90 fixed brother i could have built an m90 by now the time it's taken you :lol: :-)

I only work PT!! I have a plan for my M-90 deck next month to be fixed.
As far as the Pioneer,I have to find original woofers for it.The guy I bought it from threw away the originals!!
The ones in there are nice but this will get done to.
Right now I have to put some $ into my 1981' Z-28 Camaro.
This is going to happen,I have alot going on right now!
:-O :yes:

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Ghettoboom767 said:
Rimmer36 said:

I only work PT!! I have a plan for my M-90 deck next month to be fixed.
As far as the Pioneer,I have to find original woofers for it.The guy I bought it from threw away the originals!!
The ones in there are nice but this will get done to.
Right now I have to put some $ into my 1981' Z-28 Camaro.
This is going to happen,I have alot going on right now!
:-O :yes:
I wish i was living over t here jeff i would have the m90 done for you in 5 minuites and we could have a blast of a time.....

Threw away the speakers ehh :sad: :-O

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
I say we should get all these heavy hitters in one room so we can have a good old fashioned boombox battle... :yes: ...this is why I will definitely be at the next meet...this is really good stuff!!

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
Ghettoboom767 said:
...Hi Freddie-I sure will even if I have to buy another!!! :-O
How's the "Pitbull" running tonight? The modded GX-300 isn't it?..
The GX-300H is bone stock. The Sanyo C-9 is all stock except for the speakers because the originals couldn't handle the power output. :-)

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
nz boom said:
next to my fh-15r the rx-690 and 680 must be up there :thumbsup: [ Image ]
:agree: ...next to the FH series the Panny Platinum series is up there as well along with the Sharp GF 800/WF 939 as well but the FH will bury them on power...But I do love my 680 and my CS 780 with 690 speakers attached...

LLopez

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
:-) To me this lis of heavy hitterst is base on what I have;
Panasonic RX-A2- One of the most power radios with super deep bass at full volume with no distortion.
Panasonic RX-A5-Same as the A2 but with smaller and extra speakers.
Rotel RPM-10- One of the most powerful 3 piece boombox out there.
G.E. CR-55- Very powerful same as the Pioneer CK-5.
G.E. 3-5268A- Another power house with Super tuner.
Pioneer CK-5-Very powerful same as the G.E. CR-55.
Pioneer CK-3- Very powerful as well.
Panasonic RX C-100- One solid powerful sound.
Panasonic RX 680- One of the best 3 peace boombox out there.
Panasonic RX 690-One of the best 3 peace boombox out there.
Panasonic RX-C-300- Solid punch.
JVC-PC-5- Very solid bass sound.
JVC PC-550-Very strong amp that is for sure.
Sansui CP-5-All Sansuis are known for there great sound. and buit quality.
Sansui CP-7-All Sansuis are known for there great sound. and buit quality.
Sansui CP 99W-All Sansuis are known for there great sound. and buit quality.
Sanyo C-9- A monster of a sound. Same a Yamaha PC-9.
Yamaha PC-9-monster of a sound. Same as the Sanyo C-9.
Yamaha PC-8- Great sounding bass.
Toshiba WX1- Very heavy but same goes for the sound.
Telefunken Studio 1M- HiFi at its best.
Telefunken HP-800- Gorgeous with the killer sound.
Technics SA-C05- Very impressive sound for its size
Fisher PH-480-Very good bass.
Fisher PH-460-Very good bass.
Sharp WF-939-Very well built with a good strong sound.
I may have a few 3 peaces that I have not mention I'm sorry if I did. Now for the 1 peace power hitters:
Heelix Wheeley-5000-The biggest i piece boombox in the World carrying 2-10 inch speakers @ 4 ohms with 35 watts better than the rebatch ones that are 6 ohms at 35 watts.
Conion C-100F- A Legend for its beaty as well as for its sound.
JVC M90- Also with its Legendary looks quality sound, And one of the best decks out there.
JVC M-71- Not as large but with a large sound.
Pioneer 900- A solid well built with quality bass sound.
Sharp GF-767-The famous 4 speaker boombox with the power as well.
Sharp GF-777-The famous 4 speaker boombox with the power as well.
Sharp GF-9696- Quality sound.
Sharp GF-555- Very impressive sound coming out of this one.
Tecsonic MX-900- I was very impress with this one as is not that heavy at all but sound made my jaw drop.
Promax J1- Is the same as the Tecsonic J1 in my avatar but the Tecsonic is 6 ohms at 15 watts, And the Promax is 4 ohms at 15 watts must better and a heavy hitter.
Sony CF-490S- This one of the most powerful and hard hitting mono I have come across, Louder than the JVC-550 and can be compare to an M70 in sound wise.
Lasonic 918- Punchy bass for its midsize. So get one.
Lasonic 920-Punchy bass for its midsize. So get one.
Lasonic 922-Punchy bass for its midsize. So get one.
Sanyo 9998-Has a tank of a sound.
Sanyo 960- Super bass sound.
Palladium- same size as the M70 and hits hard as well.
International- Same as the Lightning bolt one.
Well there u have it. :-D

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
If you have the money, then I think the M90 is certainly the best choice :yes: . I have heard two at the meeting in Dessau and they surely beat the rest
ALTHOUGH I have to say that the bass of the GF-1000 blew me away :w00t: . The heights are not that good on the GF-1000 when the bass is cranked up though.
The M90 can get amazingly loud without sounding bad...many boomboxes start to sound like prrrrr in the bass when they get loud and you have to take out lots of bass with the equealizer. (Sorry for my poo poo English by the way xD).
If I have the money once, I am going to get an M90 too :angelic: :blush:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
what about thew aiwa cs880 may not be as loud as the fh but the sound to weight ratio radio of the aiwa has to be pretty damn good.

gld1307

Member (SA)
Jun 16, 2009
London
This thread has been fantastic :yes:

I think this sort of question is difficult to answer because, for instance:-
- the best sounding box is not always the loudest.
- The loudest could be amongst the least powerful (due to the abscence of bass).
- the most powerful may have the least perceived loudness but have more bass (because bass takes more energy to produce).

So are we talking about sound quality and, if so, which music is are we talking about; 'quality' for classical is quite different to 'quality' for heavey metal and Rap?
If we are talking about loudness or power (which are different in my view) are we looking at the full sound spectrum because a boombox can be bass shy enable all the energy to be put into the mid-high frequencies that the human ear is most sensative to.

I am being a little provocative here because I have only to boxes ( modified gf-777 which is just an absolute pleasure to listen to and a crown 850) so this is a real education for me and I doubt if I'll ever get to hear let alone own an M90 :sad:

Cheers guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.