What do we think about Rubber Renue?

CharlieCanuck

Oct 9, 2023
Ontario
Just wondering what experiences anyone has had with this stuff which is very popular among restorers.

My experience has been good with pinch rollers and idler wheels when used sparingly. Less so with belts. Have made a couple square belts worse with it and now am hesitant to touch belts with it, even though the product info indicates it to be belt friendly. Who's got a bottle and when do you bring it out?

Rubber_Renue.PNG

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I've never used it but if I'm tearing into a cassette player, I'm replacing the belts.
I've slightly stretched belts that look good and had them break.
To me it's not worth dressing up a belt just to have it slip or break after putting it back together.
They're cheap enough to replace but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: CharlieCanuck

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
After reading the description it might not work on belts because it is more a cleaning fluid than that it lets shrink a stretched belt back to it's original size.

'It works by causing the rubber cells of belts, platens and rollers to swell, allowing dirt particles and contaminants to be wiped away easily. Once the product has completely evaporated, the rubber cells shrink back to normal size and the surface is refreshed and ready for service.'

Reactions: CharlieCanuck