What date stamps are in your boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

=ml=

Member (SA)
Jan 10, 2011
E-Rock (Eagle Rock, L.A.)
One of the first things I take a picture of when I have a box apart is the mold date stamp. It's usually on the inside of the case back and shows the date when the part was injection molded. While not a definitive created-on-date, it's as close as we can get to when a box was manufactured.

The oldest date stamp I have is from a Victor RC-550: February 22, 1978.

victor-rc-550-date-code.jpg

What date stamps are in your boxes? :hmmm:

Go!

=ml=

devol-toni

Member (SA)
May 15, 2009
Macedonia, Skopje City
In some earlier models that stamp does not exist at all, but the date can be found on the bottom side of deck motor.
On the motor of Nat/Pan R-5410, my newest score, it stated 20 Oct '75.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
My little JVC RC-S55JW. The guy I got it from gave it to his son for Christmas '82. It must have had that "new box smell" seeing that it was so freshly molded. :lol:

010.JPG

Clean.JPG

=ml=

Member (SA)
Jan 10, 2011
superlew said:
My little JVC RC-S55JW. The guy I got it from gave it to his son for Christmas '82. It must have had that "new box smell" seeing that it was so freshly molded. :lol:

010.JPG

Clean.JPG
This is a great anecdote! :yes:

It suggests that maybe Matsushita (Victor/JVC/National/Panasonic/Sanyo/Quasar/Technics) plastic wasn't manufactured months/years ahead of final box assembly; maybe it was a product of precursor just-in-time (JIT) manufacturing.

Most of the hundreds of parts that comprise a boombox - speakers, power supply, wires, electronic components, etc. - were manufactured well before final assembly, and maybe the larger plastic parts were JIT manufactured (or at least the last manufactured), thus the date stamp may be the most reliable indicator of a given boombox's birth-date. :thumbsup:

Given the scant public information about manufacturing dates, this is a great insight!

Anyone else got a purchase/date stamp anecdote? :hmmm:

Go!

=ml=

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I opened up my Matsuki MS-959 (aka Wheely) and searched for about 45 minutes. I don't see anything like that. Maybe it's under a circuit board or something?

It's usually on back. Did you check for sticker in battery compartment ?

Bad Bad Bill

=ml=

Member (SA)
Jan 10, 2011
btphoto said:
Yeah, I looked all over the insides of both the front and back. I even looked in the cassette holder compartments. Oh well.
Thanks for looking Bill! :yes:

Oh well, seems not all boxes have date stamps/stickers. Good to know though; something more for the knowledge base.

Go!

=ml=

Status
Not open for further replies.