• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
After watching my new 920 the whole evening, an interesting thing came to my mind.
There are so many boomboxes out there that actually feature a completely lighted tuner dial.
It is not only something that improves the handling of the box but also really makes it look a lot better.
But which boombox does it best? Which one has the most class in the dark (and no, the discolite does not count ;) )?
I'd like to hear your opinions :)

SN850798.JPG

SN850875.JPG

SN850322.JPG

SN850723.JPG

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
With or without toothpicks to hold the on/off button down? :hmmm: :lol:

Some are very nice, but you have to hold down the button to get the dial light to stay on. My own opinion is that one that acts as a switch (stays down) would be the winner for me. That's why Super's dial light mod for the M-70 is so popular. :superduper: I'm going to have to go downstairs and see which ones have that feature... :blush: Really couldn't say off the top of my head. Ones that stay on all the time would be a close second, I guess, but problematic (bulb life, and all that.) ;-)

Edit: M-X920K, hands down. I forgot about that little twist/combo feature that changes it from a momentary switch to a toggle switch when you give the switch a little half-turn as you push it. :yes: (hope I said that right? :blush:)

I have never seen a 20/20 so I'm "in the dark" so to speak on how it operates. :lol: Ab-so-freekin-lute-ly , that is one of the nicest looking M-X920's I have ever seen, Max. :drool:

Soft green for the color always wins in my book, hands down. The perfect color.

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
My National RX-7000.
The original single lamp has been replaced with 3 LEDs.
A simple lamp change will bring out the dial to glory!

One impressive feature on the RX-7000 is that it has a dedicated On-Off switch for the lamp and another to change between Tuner/Battery Level and VU level.

RX-7000_r1.gif
RX-7000-r2.gif
RX-7000-r3.gif
RX-7000 VU.jpg
RX-7000 Tuner.jpg

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Kenpat said:
With or without toothpicks to hold the on/off button down? :hmmm: :lol:

Some are very nice, but you have to hold down the button to get the dial light to stay on. My own opinion is that one that acts as a switch (stays down) would be the winner for me. That's why Super's dial light mod for the M-70 is so popular. .
National RX-7000 is a winner! It has a dedicated on-off switch for the light.
No toothpick or mod reqd.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
Yeah, keep those pics coming guys! Lovin' them! :D
@Ira: Yeah, I forgot to list the WX_1 - I saw one at the boombox meeting and was blown away.
@Kenpat: I was going for stay-on lights only with this thread. Also only stock lights and nothing custom.
@btphoto: Yup, that green light is original on that Sanyo ;).

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
mmcodomino said:
@Kenpat: I was going for stay-on lights only with this thread. Also only stock lights and nothing custom.
Pics of a WX-1, anybody? :-D Where's fkn Floyd when you need him? Doesn't he have one?

Exactly what I was thinking! :agree: Otherwise, Cpl. Chronic is gonna swamp this thread in three, two, one... :lol:

Edit: Just scrolled over AE_Stereo's National 7000. Gotta admit I'm a sucker for lite-up tape compartments. Nice!

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
Dang. That WX-1 tuner light is awesome. I've never seen that. I was thinking that the Fisher PH-492 has a nice stock tuner light that covers evenly covers across the tuner band. The warm amber light comes on and slowly fades when the light button is depressed. Just thought I'd add that Model into the mix.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
skippy1969 said:
I always thought the Sanyo M9998K has a great tuner lamp and the center of the cassette deck lights up too....... :drool:
4 the 1st time in 4 years--
skippy is right about something

Status
Not open for further replies.