What Boombox Are You Cranking Up Right Now??

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France

Got this one, to my surprise, in near mint condition, at a price that made me expect a "for parts". It has no scratch or marks on any of it (many) aluminum surfaces...

Only had to remove a little bit of dust from behind its speaker grills, it even had been rebelted.... Switched out 1 tape button, the play button has the slightest bit of its chromed surface bubbling...

Originally bought it to restore another one I have but with a lot of issues...

Only did 1 thing on it : adding Bluetooth...
Made a Led-holder out of plastic sheeting so it was "easy" to fit behind the tuner window without having to remove anything, and so it has the same look and design the other leds (power, tuned, detuned, stereo) have, not to mess with the original design, added a multifunction metal button in the dip next to the antennas to keep it discreet.

Bluetooth is powered by a mains to usb (its a usb module), connected to the mains of the device - button and led are deported from the original bluetooth module pcb , I added a resistance to the blue led, so it was more in accordance to the light intensity of the original tuner and power leds. When bluetooth is off, led is off.IMG_20231215_144025.jpgIMG_20231215_144025.jpgIMG-20231214-WA0037.jpegIMG-20231214-WA0033.jpeg

IMG_20231215_144025.jpgIMG_20231215_144025.jpg

Last edited:

H3NK3L

Member (SA)
Dec 17, 2020
France
My pride & joy! Paid £25 for this not working at all! Now fully restored rebelted both decks etc It's now perfect all round! I love these Silver's! :yes:View attachment 57853
OMG ...congrats, these are not the easiest to restore, extremely decent construction but hellish to disassemble and acces...and yours is the 2 deck system !!! (PS : love the philips 8614 in the background, those were the start of my descent into boomboxericities, great design, great sound, only 1 flaw....very unbalanced fysically, with the transofrmator on one side of it) !

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
this 55 is a minter lad.... to good to use.....all those marks you see came off just with baby wipes..my other 55 is the daily driver lad....i never turn it off unless using the hifi

Reactions: floyd

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
this 55 is a minter lad.... to good to use.....all those marks you see came off just with baby wipes..my other 55 is the daily driver lad....i never turn it off unless using the hifi
That's probably a wise move I can get part of mine to turn on but both of the power lights don't go on so basically I use line in and amplifier part still works the EQ doesn't work either only the volume.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Well I have a front face panel if you ever need it lol. Plus the full set of tape deck buttons that whole panel with all that s*** on it Immaculate condition.

Reactions: Radio raheem