VZ bling

Status
Not open for further replies.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Well, my local source for chrome dried up but I found a source in China, but it took two months for the stuff to arrive, so I sort of had to put this on hold for a while. Plus, it comes in metric dimensions, so it must be cut in half. And added bonus, it comes with a scratch protectant film that sort of stayed on, which was nice, so I could remove them after completion.

I wanted to try doing the other speaker with a 300% thicker material to achieve a better mirror effect. If you compare my pictures below with the first one in post #17 of this thread, you can see how that rippling effect has disappeared. It turned out great, although some of the smallest pieces are so thick now they're almost bricks, so they have a hard time staying put. My cutter also had such a hard time that I had to double-cut everything, and just scratches the even thicker stuff I bought. I'm hoping you won't be able to tell the difference between the two thicknesses once the grills are back on.

I overhauled the cut design and created the exact shapes of the squares partially cut off around the woofer ring. I also designed four more elements - a woofer ring, the strips between the cone panels, the strips below the cone panels, and the ring around the deepest part of the woofer cone, made of two strips. The new design has only a few extras of each type, and some have no extras at all, like the woofer ring and inner strip.

236 full-size squares - 104 around the woofer, 60 around the ports, 72 around the outside of the woofer ring
30 highly trimmed squares - 24 along the very top and six between the ports
4 port stickers
1 woofer ring
6 slightly trimmed squares - 3 along the outside of each outer port
50-60 partially cut squares around the woofer ring
12 cone panels
12 cone panel divider strips
12 cone panel under-strips
12 facet panels at the bottom of the cone panel divider strips
12 square facts below those
12 facet panels below those
1 inner cone ring (two individual strips)

About 410 stickers, so a non-trivial amount of time would be required if you try this :lol:
Now I can put it back together!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Dear me, you must have the patience of a saint and the diligence of a Swiss watch maker so all credit to you, the result is extremely impressive - akin to a factory fresh result. :yes: :thumbsup: :rock: :hooray:

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Thanks guys! It looks stunning reassembled into the box. It came out better than I imagined, it glistens something fierce. The thicker chrome did not make a noticeable difference.

The post on the power switch was snapped off as I was trying to reassemble it last year, but lucky for me I found an exact replacement from a tape deck I tore apart, so I dodged a bullet there.

I got a record to test the turntable, and whizzing. Both belts need replacement. Thanks to my recent tape deck teardowns I had the right belt for the small one, but had to order the main belt. I removed a hundred scattered goo-chunks and smears of what was the old belt.

I really didn't want to take out the entire player, so I pulled some wires out of their tiedowns above and below the control PCB so I could maneuver it around. I fed the belt in from the front, only having to unscrew one side of the control board frame. Since they're on rubber gaskets, there is enough play to pull it out for grabbing the belt out of the no-man's-land in between there.

I was worried after even the belt replacement would not get it to play, getting no response from the controls. Fortunately the first thread I found about these not playing mentioned the rest position detection switch. I checked mine and it wasn't working, not because it was dirty but because it was missing the flipper and curved piece of copper that gives it springiness. Gently pushing the contacts together allowed the player to run.

I found the flipper when first opening the box, but not the copper piece; I have a hunch it's still rattling around inside. I looked through my junk box and found a couple of leaf switches with the right shape, but couldn't be sure they'd handle the current, since they weren't as beefy as the original. I probably would've gone for it and used one of them, but I found the exact version the original, even with the missing throw! (link) I can even see the spot where the third contact normally goes on the original one.

This is good because the body of the switch also serves as a brake, against which a post on the needle position wheel relies. It would've been a hack to try and position a different style switch in the exact spot and anchor it.

Back on the floor in the bedroom for a couple more weeks :thumbsdown:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I like the Chrome around the speakers as opposed to black wish I had energy take mine apart and just paint around that s*** it just makes an already gigantic box look bigger and meaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.