vibration issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
ok..this is drivin me nuts...
my extra minty m90 vibrates/rattles with certain low frequencies...
i thought it was because im missing the top screw but it vibrates lower on the back panel..
when i squeeze the panels together it goes away...all screws are tight...
any suggestions? rubber grommets? somethin?
its a sad thing to tell everyone this is the baddest mfr ever made and its starts vibrating so bad i gotta bust out somethin else.
thanks

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
m90's originally came with a very thin felt padding that worked as a seal around the outer edge of the back cover. I am sure time has worn yours away. Mine had the same problem so I found a very thin weatherstripping with adhesive on one side and wrapped it around the edge of the back cover. It makes the cover very tight to put back on but it cured the vibration and I can crank mine up to full volume with no vibration at all. You can find the weatherstripping at any home improvement store.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
mellymelsr said:
m90's originally came with a very thin felt padding that worked as a seal around the outer edge of the back cover. I am sure time has worn yours away. Mine had the same problem so I found a very thin weatherstripping with adhesive on one side and wrapped it around the edge of the back cover. It makes the cover very tight to put back on but it cured the vibration and I can crank mine up to full volume with no vibration at all. You can find the weatherstripping at any home improvement store.
Melvin is right. Actually mostly every box I ever opened has this on the back. It does come unglued and falls off after time :yes:

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
mellymelsr said:
Makes perfect sense to me, Melly! You're the fn man!
So you're sayin around the outside edge of the casings, right? Any dimensions for me for what to look for?

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
The felt is attached to the back cover. If you remove your back cover you will see along the edge where it seal against the front cover the very thin pieces of felt used by the manufacturer. I decided to use a very thin 3m weatherstripping with adhesive on one side to get an extra tight seal. When I get back home I can take pics of the weatherstripping I used. The weatherstripping basically goes along the edge of the back case where it slides into the front case to create a solid, rattle proof seal. Taking mine apart to take pictures would mean resealing it so I will check my archives for old pics... :-D

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
Superduper said:
I have seen M90's where all the internal screws were loose, either stripped from overtightening, undertightened, broken screw towers, etc., and they will also cause vibrations.
...very good point as well...better check all those chassis screws first... :-D

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
mellymelsr said:
Superduper said:
I have seen M90's where all the internal screws were loose, either stripped from overtightening, undertightened, broken screw towers, etc., and they will also cause vibrations.
...very good point as well...better check all those chassis screws first... :-D
Already checked, fellas....as always, now I just have to find the time to work on it :-D

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
baddboybill said:
mellymelsr said:
Melvin is right. Actually mostly every box I ever opened has this on the back. It does come unglued and falls off after time :yes:

If you don't have the same type of adhesive backup thin felt , electric tape works well and will not make a mess. I have used it where the felt went bad. :yes: :yes:

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
oh my god it worked!
thanks to melly an BBL for the input. much appreciated.
i actually went with BBL's method and used electrical tape.
been bumpin some bass-heavy tracks for about an hour now and not a rattlle can be heard!
melly...my m90 is so minty...all of the original felt was still there!! just a little dry...and obviously not thick enough for proper sound deadening.
super stoked.
i'll be bumpin this bad boy all night
thanks again fellas!

Status
Not open for further replies.