Universum Senator 8800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
When I said sanded acrylic, I meant with very fine, WET sandpaper......But I like your ideas better. Many shops can etch a groove into the glass that would glow when illuminated. You could even etch your initials, or "Super Bass" or something like that.

You can also get special "fluorescent" acrylic that has an even stronger glow when illuminated. It even glows with simple ambient light.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Reli said:
When I said sanded acrylic, I meant with very fine, WET sandpaper...
I know what you meant when you said lightly sanded. Unfortunately, the plastic ends up with a frosted look (like an old car headlight) and I can't see how placing that in front of a tuner scale won't obscure it somehow. Even worst, when lit up, it will look like a bright whiteboard and nothing behind will be seen. At least that's what I'm imagining will happen. Unless you've already done or seen this done and seen different results?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah I'm just speculating, I've never done it. Even if it didn't obscure the lettering it would still look uneven and amateur.

Superduper

Member (SA)
When I did my M70 light kit, I discovered that the acrylic lens had to be absolutely crystal clear for the best results. If there were any scratches or dust or specs, no matter how minute, they made the display look horrible when lit up. What might have been dirty but not noticeable initially will be highlighted and accentuated. That's why in the installation instructions for my kit, I mentioned taking the opportunity to remove and clean the dial if possible before installation. Otherwise, when lit up, it would be like having a brand new paint job on a car that just drove through the mud., except worse, with spot lights shining on the exterior. It is for this reason that I am very confident that the lens must be clear otherwise the sanded side will completely suck up all the lumens leaving the dial behind with nothing.

Radio-Active

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2015
NorCal Redwood Coast
That Universum box is very attractive.

Maybe just a light on the back of the tuner needle. Maybe you can machine a small lampshade/reflector.

Maybe screenprint the tuner scale on glass or plexi,and backlight like the conion video.You could even add your local stations.

Trommelmops

Member (SA)
Apr 20, 2017
Brandenburg, Germany
Dear members and followers.....Trommelmops has for the moment finished....i have try out something but the result was not what i imagine.

At the moment i let it like it is. The senator works very well and we try out some acrylic milling with cnc machine.....maybee we can engrave it directly to the surface.....

Its really difficult. How is it made in a marantz receiver?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I had a Marantz, there is a simple boxed rail behind the tuner dial that holds all the bulbs. Then they put a sheet of vellum/diffuser paper over it to soften the light. Like this:

paper.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.