TV Boom-box ( JVC 3090EN ) turned into music oscilloscope / visual effector

Obiw4n

Apr 3, 2021
UK

My JVC 3090 TV boom box which had the TV equivalent of a cataract ( retrace lines ) has been rejuvenated into a cathode ray sound visualiser which uses any sound source from the JVC itself and turns it into lines on screen ( see video )

I've even added a coloured overly to the B&W screen which is behind the protective plastic cover adding a green hue to the glow.
Technically it was quite easy to do, obviously if you have a working TV might not be worth doing, but in my case you couldn't get a decent picture and I had tried to fix the unit but I may have had another problem which I didn't have the time or skills to fix, so I opted for this option which was to take the sound output from the amplifier and wire the left/right channels to the horizontal/vertical coils of the CRT ( Cathode Ray Tube ) inside the unit.

Either way it looks quite good doesn't it, the overly was from an old Vectrex game I had, perfect, enjoy!

RoZyBoom

Member (SA)
Mar 22, 2023
Warsaw, PL
WOW! That is SO COOL! How did you do this? It's like I'm time-traveling through sound waves!

It would be awesome if a box existed that can take audio signal in and generate video that can go over RF or RCA Video-in into these older CRTs!

Reactions: Obiw4n