Turn your 20/20 into a C100F. On Steroids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Ok, I've been wanting for some time to build some amplifier modules to stuff into wimpy boomboxes, that have potential. You know the ones -- big, 8" woofers, cavernous shells -- wimpy sound.

So itching to make a few, I just finished building this guy.

I start out with some new sheets of aluminum bar and some recycled angle bracket. Five, count 'em (5) Thermalloy high efficiency Heatsinks, stainless steel torx retainers, tapped holes in the aluminum bars, and then nyloc nuts to secure the heatsinks.

The amp module is the Toshiba TA-8210AH module. It was test fitted to ensure proper clearance and to mark the mounting holes that will be drilled and tapped.

What I did not show was the assembly of the electronic components. Hard to photograph and handle soldering iron at the same time. Anyhow, once all the componets were installed, the chip plugged into the board, and mounted onto the heatsink before final soldering.

Once assembled, it was hooked up to a set of aiwa cheapy component speakers I bought from goodwill. They are very inefficient and do distort way before the 200watts max it claims to be able to handle. :-O :lol: :lol: :nonono: They do produce decent tight bass but that's it. I did not video it but afterwards, I retested using a set of Sony APM-950 bookshelf speakers which handle 40 nominal, 80w max. And with those speakers, the sound was far improved, sound was painfully loud and distortion far reduced, even with the 60% lower advertised power handling rating :w00t: :lol: . Before watching the video, keep in mind that the digital camera (not a true video camera) was shot about 12 - 16" away so much of the distortion heard was due to the camera pickups being saturated far earlier than actual distortion. Since there is no way to capture the true dynamic loudness and range with my all purpose digital camera, you 'll just have to take my word for it that this guy can crank (depending on input signal strength). Anyhow, I would say it's easily louder than C100 and cleaner sound too. Hard to say what the results will be when inside the boombox however, since it really depends upon how clean the signals from the preamp is that will be passed to the amp.
This thing measures 6.5" long. If we go with less sinking -- the module can be made a bit smaller.

I will be making 4 total. I have this one and another one exactly the same size/shape ready made. 2 more will be built shortly. If anyone wants one to play with, I am offering them for $59 ready to install. Will be tested, cabled, and hookup instructions will be provided. YOU must be able to do some basic soldering and able to be figure out where to find proper taps to make connections for your particular boombox. I might make more on a larger scale if there is enough interest but don't count on it.

Specs:
Main Amplifier module: Toshiba TA-8210AH
Power requirements // operating range: 12 to 18 volts
Output type: Bridged (BTL)
Output power: 22wpc RMS (approx) at 10% THD into 4-ohms @ 14.4 volts.
Output power: 19wpc RMS (approx) at 10% THD into 4-ohms @ 13.2 volts.
Only .04% THD @13.2volts, f=1khz, P-out=1w, and R-Load @ 4ohms.
Connections:
(1) Power VCC+
(2) Ground (-)
(3) Inputs L and R (+/-)
(4) Outputs L and R (+/-) floating ground -- do not ground together or to system ground.
(5) Optional -- power on hard switched with power connection, or alternate standby remote power on (recommended).
That's it. IF you are skilled enough to make those connections, YOU can install this yourself.
PM if interested.

[youtube]ufZPP1hVFRU[/youtube]

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Oh, man. :drool: :drool: I'll definitely be sending you a PM later. :yes:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
what a pro piece of work :thumbsup: :drool:

wish i had not sold my wimpy 20/20 :dunce: :thumbsdown:

wonder what this amp would do for a goldstar 800 :-) ;-) :superduper:

Superduper

Member (SA)
This is a stereo module. Each of the two stereo outputs are bridged (push/pull) as this particular module is internally designed as such. Note the 2 aiwa speaker used for the demo. Remember -- the outputs are floating ground meaning the left and right channels have their own separate ground and you can't tie them together or to system ground.

In the course of testing it, found that good strong speakers are a must. Clearly, they are the weak link. The goodwill 6.5" Aiwas did an OK job but clearly crapped out before the amp ran out of room. The Sony APM-D950's I tried after the video was shot peformed far far better. So any speaker used should be able to handle a good 20+wpc RMS and not that fake crappy boombox MAX rating either. This amp produces about as good as you are gonna get out of conventional 10-D cell type of power. To get more power out, you will probably need to go AC only route since voltage is the limiting factor. Remember, the higher the output, the higher the voltage at the speakers. Only thing is.... with 12 to 15 volts max on the input side -- you are limited at the output since it's hard to produce more voltage at the output than from the inputted voltage. To put this into perspective, the Telelstudio has 48v rails and the Sony FH's have 25v rails.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I want one for my wheely. Put one aside for me please unless you have a bigger/better frankenstein setup in mind for it.

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
How do you think boombox speakers will handle this amp???
I may want to chuck one of these amps into my Rising src 2015.
I dont want to replace the original white woofs though.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Frank. The original 20/20 speakers are only rated at 5wpc. So that's way under spec'd for this amp.

One thing we can do is detune the amplifier so it does not blow your speakers. The original amp on the rising is extremely wimpy and distorts very early. Even if the current amps are capable of 5-wpc, the truth is that it wimps out and distorts far before the speakers receives the full 5-watts of power. So if you desire to retain the original woofers (or find replacements such as the Lasonic 931 woofs) then I recommend to attenuate the inputs to the amp so as to obtain a full 5 watts of clean distortion free audio. In this manner, the amp will be simply cruising along and never approach the level where distortion begins.

In other words, most boomboxes are rated at the power produced at the 10% THD level. When operated below that level, distortion drops precipitously.

So presuming the Rising can produce 5pwc at 10% THD, you can detune the new amp so you end up with 5wpc at 0.5% THD.

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Getting some 931 speakers with that amp of yours in the Rising would be a great improvement!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.