TRC 975 decks not functioning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
FWSnake said:
You are right, I overlooked that the motor is humming.
So voltage and mircoswitches are probably OK.
Is the motor rotating or is it somehow blocked?
After removing 2 of the belts you can find out if the motor is blocked or the gears it is driving-
It ceases to rotate, meaning it is being blocked or obstructed by something.
A better response would have been. Thanks for the Helpful instructions, I have removed the belts as you instructed and now confirm the motor is not turning when powered up with no belts. However I can spin the motor by hand so it not seized.

If this is what you have done you may be able to service the motor or replace with a similar one.

Helmar

Inactive (Delete)
Dec 21, 2015
Hamburg, Germany
I would double check the voltage on the motor and -if ok- try to unblock the motor by putting some penetrating oil on the front bearing of the motor.
Then turn it by hand with slight force. Not much to loose anyway.

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
Well now it seems like the motor can be turned by hand easily. When turned on, the mechanism does nothing. I used a multimeter to look for voltage and there's nothing leading up to the motor. So the motor isn't being obstructed, it's a voltage issue. Could the motor connector be shorted out or corroded?

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
Ahh, so that's been known to be a little iffy. I'll check the high dubbing switch for voltage. I honestly hope this is just a matter of cleaning out corroded bits or re-soldering something, because it would be a damn shame if I had to replace the entire circuit boards. Gonna guess these parts aren't too prevalent...

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
JVC Floyd said:
Another thing to check is the high speed dubbing switch , when they go wonky nothing works right.
Been away from my box for a while, gonna get back to it sometime this week, hopefully. In the event that the high speed dubbing switch is in order, what should I do? And if it's not? What should I look out for? Thanks.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JVC Floyd said:
Another thing to check is the high speed dubbing switch , when they go wonky nothing works right.
This is true, some deoxit contact cleaner spray and compressed air in the button switch may help.

Also check the record bar. It looks like this....(this is not from the same radio, but these all look the same). Clean this with contact spray as well.

IMG_20170531_060639.jpg

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
This is true, some deoxit contact cleaner spray and compressed air in the button switch may help.

Also check the record bar. It looks like this....(this is not from the same radio, but these all look the same). Clean this with contact spray as well.

IMG_20170531_060639.jpg
Record bar has been cleaned, doesn't seem to be affecting much. At this point, I'm thinking that the motor needs to be replaced. Or worse, other parts.

EDIT; of further looking, the wires connecting directly to the motor are very weak, almost being binded by one tiny strip. These need to be re-soddered. Even then, voltage should be coming out of the motor.

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
Another thing to mention, the point where the motor wire starts is producing no voltage, as well as a brown wire that leads to a different point in the deck. I'm at the point where I believe there might not be a good solution other than an overhaul of all these parts

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
Update: Safe to say that there's no known solution yet. Unless anyone has some magical solution--or someone wants to pay a visit and help me diagnose the issue, I'll be putting it back together.

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
baddboybill said:
Have you checked micro switches thats used to power motor from deck?
Not that I know of. Assuming you have one in your collection, if you could show me what to look for, that would be great. And I'm assuming I have to check for voltage--what if the switches produce nothing?

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
FWSnake said:
Have you checked micro switches thats used to power motor from deck?
Not that I know of. Assuming you have one in your collection, if you could show me what to look for, that would be great. And I'm assuming I have to check for voltage--what if the switches produce nothing?
I had one but micro switch would most likely be in front of deck but would need to be pulled out to see it

This is a micro switch but they dont alwsys look exact
It will be located somewhere where carriage might go into up position.
Screenshot_20170612-135313.png

Status
Not open for further replies.