This JVC RC-838JW found its way home.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Thanks everybody, reading all the positive comments makes me feel even better about my purchase, even though I never really had buyers remorse. ;-)

JVC Floyd said:
love it !
side by side in my mind it's nicer than the m70 just nowhere near it in the sound department though. if you can get used to the fact the 838 was not designed for bass it's a great sounding radio. i stumbled upon one that's a strong 9/10 condition for cheap , can't believe i own one that nice.
I agree with ya Floyd, its not a street pounder by any means, but it does sound very nice when certain genres of music are coming out the speakers. I like playing with the BIPHONIC and EXPAND sound settings. Gives certain songs a nice effect.

blu_fuz said:
Oh those LED's look amazing, I need those in my life...and as GZ said, a strap ;-)

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Reli said:
Congrats! Better build quality than an M70 IMO.
I,ve yet to see the inside of an M70, but the inside of the 838 is packed with wholesome goodness :-D I usually take the woofers out and clean em up really good and shine the dustcaps up, but I didn't even attempt it with this box because there was so much stuff to work around and honestly, its beyond my expertise at the moment. But the inside is now dust free.

GF-Glen said:
Hell yeah, she's a beauty! I love boxes that have the protective bar things on them... Great score Slo!
retrohead said:
a superb,fantastic looking boombox. :drool:
Thanks fellas! :thumbsup: appreciate it...

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Great looking 838 bro. That is a clean version.
I have the Victor but it needs work.

Btw, these are super simple to take apart. They have a one piece chassis and if you know what screws to pull,it all comes out in one lump.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
goodman said:
Looks very good, congrats!!! :yes:
Thanks!

Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Great looking 838 bro. That is a clean version. I have the Victor but it needs work. Btw, these are super simple to take apart. They have a one piece chassis and if you know what screws to pull,it all comes out in one lump.
Thanks for that info Chris. If I ever need to take it a part for any reason, I'll check out the layout a little better. Cheers my friend...

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thanks!

Thanks for that info Chris. If I ever need to take it a part for any reason, I'll check out the layout a little better. Cheers my friend...

No prob bro. I think you want to look for all the purple or all the blue screws.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
blu_fuz said:
I agree that the RC-838 is just a wimp compared to the M70. The 838 is so packed inside but it NEEDS a woofer upgrade bad if you really want to rock with it.
Anyone have speaker replacement suggestion? Just curious as it has 6's I believe. :hmmm:

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Btw, these are super simple to take apart. They have a one piece chassis and if you know what screws to pull,it all comes out in one lump.
Well...not sure about this. I bought the manual from norm d/l it and one lump? Hmm. That top piece doesn't remove like the M70 so I was forced to remove the tuner board, then the main board before removing the chassis. I don't see a way to do it other wise. Also don't forget that plastic arm that goes to the tape door. Kind of a pain cause its packed like mentioned above.

ALso, regarding replacement speakers, I don't see that happening either. There just isn't any spare room so if the speakers magnets etc are any bigger they won't fit. Bum deal.

That said what a nice beefy classic box. Love how the volume clicks when you slide it.

Joe how did you LED mod that? Does norm offer an 838 kit?!?! :drool:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
The first time I opened my 838 I tried to pull it apart board by board. But have since found all the right screws to pull the chassis in one piece. The arm in the cassette door is a PIA but again, once you figure it out, it's not that bad.

Good luck with the repair

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk