The Robot! He sounds good.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Great restore Norm as usual, wish i could get into these but to me there just to odd looking and don't represent a typical looking boombox lol

nice work though dude :thumbsup:

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Superduper said:
I've been listening to this... it's crazy how far the sound carries. I had it pounding in downstairs family room. I went up stairs. I went to the other end of the house upstairs. I hid in the restroom doing my business. The sound is everywhere! Who needs an FM transmitter when you got this? It's the ultimate party box if you want to disturb, frustrate and annoy the heck outta everyone, :clap: :-O :-D . It's friggen crazy! The bass is not low like a kaboom but it definitely has strong bass and solid. Good midrange, and excellent treble. Royce, don't need no tweeters with this thing, treble is not lacking. In fact, if you wanna, you can listen to and be very very happy with classical music too.

The amps do work very hard with these woofs. After about 15 minutes workout, the heatsink was pumping out radiant heat. Feeling the sinks from behind the amplifier chips, it was quite hot. Not too hot to touch, because the heatsink is fairly large but you can definitely feel the heat where the chips were and then it bleeds off and gets cooler on the heatsink the further you go. I think I'm gonna beef up this heatsink so it can draw more heat away and be more effective.

Oh, and lots of people look at this thing and think they see equalizer on the front panel. It is not. That is a mixer panel. You can mix line-in, radio, microphone, and tape. There is an echo feature for crazies (have no clue why anyone would wanna do that to the sound). There is also a slider for tape speed pitch. You can use any or all of those at the same friggen time, if you are crazy of course. But I suppose it could come in handy if someone wants to talk using microphone, and then cue in some sappy background music to go with the monologue. And there is a line-out too, of course, in case you wanna record what you are mixing or if for some reason, you want to send output to another amplifier (what???). Yep, this is a fun box.
Is all that mixing stuff for karaoke perhaps? Very popular in Japan. How many mic ports does it have?

Superduper

Member (SA)
Is all that mixing stuff for karaoke perhaps? Very popular in Japan. How many mic ports does it have?
There is input for Mic-1 and input for Mic-2/Guitar with a switch selectable for either Mic2 or Guitar. So you can have either 2 mics going at the same time or 1 mic and 1 guitar-in. And of course there is also line-in, line-out and phone-out. On most examples, you will see all the ports along the bottom edge. On mine, you don't see it because there is a skirt that covers those ports along the bottom with flip up doors for each I/O port. On most Disco-Robo's, the skirt is missing or broken off already.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I just realized that no one has called dibs yet.

So...

DIBS!

:-D :-D :clap: :hooray: :rock: :thumbsup: :afro: :cool:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
This is a subject that has been way over do on this site. These have only been posted a few times and no tear downs to mention.

Fantastic work documenting it Norm. The red surrounds look great.

:thumbsup:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Pioneer Disco Robo came in many colors right? How many colors were there? Just curious! :-D
~Royce

This guy got it all! :jawdrop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BczdhH9Mak

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
Superduper outdid himself! :w00t: Great stuff Norm, epic restoration of one of the most original units around :-)